18. protect your blood

[unedited]

S O R E N

I walked down the stairs and trotted into the kitchen to receive a gasp from my mother. She dropped her platter full of pancakes to cover her mouth. I wasn't wearing a shirt which meant my bruised chest was on full display, and the bruises had turned a dark mud colour of deep purple.

"Don't ask," I huffed, looking at a maid with an expecting glance which she responded to by running over and picking up the pancakes.

"Soren... What happened to you?" She removed her hands from her mouth and proceeded to walk towards me, arms out stretched.

"Nothin'. I just fell down the stairs." I grunted, pushing her hand away as she went to touch my black and blue chest.

"You don't need to lie to me—" I walked out of her way, heading into the dining room where my brothers sat eating. Their glances were ones of shock as they took in my image.

"Damn, is sex that rough for you?" Colin joked weakly, while I sat down wincing.

"Say another fucking word and I will, kill you." I growled, taking a pancake off the stack and placing it on my plate.

"Did you watch the game?" Robin asked happily, dribbling sugar and lemon onto his pancake.

I grunted, looking up at his disappointed expression before adding , "That'll do, that'll do."

Before Robin could respond the doors bursted open and Albert himself strode through, his face was stone as he sat down at the head on the table.

Colin stood up silently, grabbing his plate but my father's voice boomed across the room, "Sit down."

He sighed and took his seat, we sat in silence wondering why the fuck he'd come to eat with us. I couldn't remember the last time we sat down and had breakfast together, so obviously we'd done something wrong.

"How did the game go?" He asked Robin and Colin while putting his fork into a pancake, sliding it on his plate.

"We won." Robin and Colin said in sync, I closed my eyes waiting for the criticism and sure enough it came.

"You boys need to bloody use your own brains, you are not conjoined." He put a pancake in his mouth before turning to me, looking at my chest and bruised face, "And this is my son?"

He was shaking his head slightly before putting his head down and began eating.

"I have to go, I have an early exam." Red stated, rising as he handed his plate to the maid who was cleaning the table.