19. wet sneezes

My profile picture is my face every time you guys say something nice about this book❤️

J A Y

The famous Rufus Lensherr; top roster in the pecking order leaned against the counter. His football jersey peering out from underneath his blue coat.

He ran a hand through his dark brown hair and looked down at me, "Babydoll, I swear you're here everyday."

"That'd be because I work here," I raised an eyebrow at him, internally cringing at the cheesey pet name, "and I could say the same for you, don't you ever get sick of drinking smoothie?"

The self-centred boy took off his gloves and gave me a sarcastic smile, "Someone's in a good mood."

Rufus was known for choosing his prize (a girl) then doing anything and everything to get the girl. Sounds romantic but as soon as he knows that girls likes him, he ditches them. The only thing I didn't understand was why he was choosing me out everyone as his next target.

"Babydoll, when's your lunch break?" He asked conversationally as I typed the order in of a strawberry-banana-raspberry smoothie.

"When you're gone," I whispered under my breath before looking at him with a happy smile, "Soon," I checked my watch, "Twenty minutes."

"I think it's about time I ask you to lunch." Rufus flashed me with his perfect row of straight teeth, running his hand through his hair once again.

"Well, I kinda already have—" a chair screeched against the floor as it was pushed back. Rufus stared into my eyes with confidence and I refused to look at the big figure walking towards us.

Soren rubbed the top of Rufus's head affectionately, purposely pushing his beanie over his eyes, "What's up, pipsqueak?"

It was in that moment I realised the only reason why Rufus was taking notice of me was because I was seen with Soren. They had always been competitive, through sport, girls, even grades. Then one day Soren just, stopped.

"Haven't seen you in awhile." Soren leant against the counter as he turned his body to face Rufus who was glaring at him.

"We take three core subjects together." Rufus spat, before smirking as he stood up straighter using his height to his advantage.

"Do we? I guess you kinda blend into the background." Soren stated bluntly, ignoring Rufus' intimidating stance and turning to me, "I'd love a mango smoothie, thanks."

I shut my mouth quickly and typed the ordered in, secretly hoping the boys didn't start a wrestling match while I was gone.

Jamie, my smoothie partner whispered in my ear, "Are they going to punch it up? We don't want them scaring away customers."

"No, it'll be—" the obvious sound of a punch echoed through the smoothie bar, and I ran out of the back room into the counter area.

Was I a bad person for wishing Rufus was the one who got punched? Yes, probably. Soren glared down at the ground where I suspected Rufus lay.