30. fresh bullets

J A Y

J A Y

A few unusual events had occurred in the past hours.

One; I had woken up with a red rose on my window sill, my curtains had been drawn, and the only reason I saw it was due to the shadow it formed. The rose was well looked after, as if it had been clipped and trimmed by God's hands himself. A little note had been attached, 'Roses don't grow in winter, no need to water.'

I didn't mention anything to Soren, because he seemed distracted on our way to school anyways. Snowflakes and dusted our coat, gloves, and beanies.

Another thing, Soren later in the morning convinced me into seeing my mother again, saying how she would miss me. It was weird for him to care about her, my guess was he was trying fix something that will always be unfixable. Why? I have no idea.

Last but not least, Neena.

I walked into the girl's bathroom and stopped abruptly, hearing the hiccup of a cry from behind one of the stalls.

"Is someone in here?" I asked cautiously, walking slowly up to the only locked cubicle, "Um, are you okay?"

"Go away." The girl sobbed, she sniffles loudly before silence filled the bathroom.

I licked my lips unconsciously as I rubbed my hands together, "Well, I don't think crying alone in a bathroom stall will help very much..."

Silence.

I sighed and slid down the wall, sitting on the tile floor. From my view in front of her toilet stall I could see no sign of shoes, she must have her knees tucked under her chin.

"Why are you crying?" I asked softly.

"Jay, I know it's you and we don't talk about this shit. Anyone but you would have been okay." Neena's voice broke from crying frequently, she blew her nose.

"Well, just imagine that you're talking to the person on the other side of the toilet door. Just a person, not me." I took a breath realizing I'd miss most of chemistry the way this was going, "I don't hate you, you know that, right? I didn't even think you knew who I was."

"Everyone knows who are, Jay. So don't talk to me about being unpopular." Her voice was cold and I sighed, rubbing the sides of my temple.

"We've never met properly. I am Jay Whiley, I've been off alcohol for four weeks now." I smiled weakly at my own joke, "Come on, I know you're smiling back there."

"Shut up," She spat before whispering, "Neena Eellante, I've been off coke for two months now."

We sat in silence as I smiled, enjoying our little moment.