40. following tides

J A Y

J A Y

Unless frequently exposed to death—such as a solider or assassin most people react in one of three ways.

The frozen; ones who rock ever so slightly, holding themselves as the image of death replays in there head, uncontrollably.

The smiling; those people who shake off any help people offer them, smiling through the pain. Yet, inside their stomachs churn with the sickening feeling of lose of life.

Finally, The ones in shock. The title is self explanatory.

And then there was Soren. Who said nothing, a blank expression plastered on his of his face. Cold, blue eyes unblinking as my voice droned in his mind. His fist were clenched, obvious that he would easily punch the first person that got close enough to him. Taking out what he couldn't understand in violence, that's how it always had been.

"Soren--" I stoped when he turned to me, glaring with an deadly look that made me shut my mouth.

Slowly and stiffly his head turned to the white wall ahead of him. I couldn't help but notice his pointer finger tapping his hand, swallowing hard, breathing heavily.

Putting my hand over his, the tapping subsiding but he did not make any acknowledge to my existence. It was raining outside, patting against the window with little to non explanation to its existence. Probably how Soren felt after two people's death that he would blame himself for being the cause.

"They... They say that one of the best ways to get over grieving--"

Soren snapped his head towards me and seethed, "You died less than three hours!"

Buried and burnt, he flopped back down into the hospital pillow and gripped his hair in handfuls, his eyes sliding shut.

Blinking once, "Did you just say... I died less than--"

"Neena... stop talking." His voice was shaky as he turned to look at me with watery eyes, "I watched you die, stop talking."

My hand slowly and secretly slid out of view, until my fingers blindly felt for the keychain that consisted of the help button. Clicking on it while keeping eye contact with the shaking boy, he was so cold and so white.

"Neena, what do I tell your parents?" Soren voice painfully broken cried, the crease in his brow sculpturing mentally fading blue eyes.

My mouth opened to respond but I could bare to say anything when he's eyes met mine and his lip quivered.

Nurses ran into the room making me jump, Soren simply keeping eye contact as he sat frozen in the bed.