February Air

“Carm, this is literally the worst time of year to go to the beach. It’s freezing.” Laura complains, the ocean breeze giving off a chill.

    “It’s February air. It’s refreshing.” Carmilla argues, her shoes in one hand and Laura’s hand in her other.

    “You have long sleeves, my arms are cold. I’m in a dress.” the waves crash over her feet and Laura jumps up a little bit.

    “Just watch, Cupcake.” Carmilla comes behind her and wraps her arms around her small human girlfriend to share warmth. With Carmilla around her, Laura settles in and enjoys the feeling.

    Then the fireworks go off. The lights reflect off of the ocean, giving off a beautiful glow. Carmilla can feel Laura’s shock and smiled to herself at the mystified look in the younger girl’s eyes. She loved Laura’s sense of wonder at the world.

    “They’re beautiful.” Laura says with a sigh, leaning back into her arms.

    “Not as beautiful as you.” Carmilla grins.

    “And you say that I’m cheesy.” Laura snorts.

            “Maybe you just inspire me.” Carmilla says in a calm voice that Laura has to strain to hear.

            “You inspire me too. You make me a better person.” Laura says, the ocean meets her toes, and the cool water sends a chill down her spine.

            “I must admit that in that respect, we're pretty good for each other.” Carmilla says almost begrudgingly.

            “The world owed us one, I think.”

            “That it did, Cupcake, that it did.”