Dreams

Everyone in their friend group knew that Laura Hollis's dream was to become a reporter along the lines of Lois Lane or Veronica Mars. However, those shows and books had been written in a different era and the times had certainly changed since then. Newspapers were not as popular, and Laura wanted nothing more than to see her stories in print. Getting and keeping work, writing real stories for real papers had proven much harder to accomplish than Laura had expected. That was not to say that Laura was not enjoying her work; no matter how unreliable, she was filled with pride and satisfaction every time she saw her name on a byline. Her wife started to keep a scrapbook, and if Laura wasn't mistaken Carmilla had even begun to procure frames for her favorites.

"Laura, Cupcake, I promise you, it is all going to be okay. I am centuries old and can support us without either of us ever having to work. We are going to be alright." Carmilla promised the anxious girl.

"Carm, you know that isn't what I want. My dad has insisted on taking care of me up until we got married and we know you can provide everything we will ever need. I want to stand on my own two feet. Yes, we are married, but I am still my own woman." Laura said, a new fierceness to her voice.

"On one level, I understand completely." Carmilla replied. "I have lived a long life and have been lucky enough to see most of my dreams come true when I've had them. On another level, I wish you would allow me to take care of you... not out of a sense of possession or out of duty, but because I love you... that is all."

"I know that you are coming from a place of love, but this is important to me, Carmilla. This is my dream and my passion. I don't want you to just hand it to me. You could start ten newspapers for me to fill and it still just would not mean the same thing. I want to work, and sweat, and bleed for it... no matter how miserable it may make me." Laura chuckled darkly.

"I never want to see you miserable, but I can live with a lot so long as it means that I can continue to live with you. Still, no matter how hard things may get, know that I am here with you and for you. Richer or poorer, and in sickness or health, for so long as we both may live." Carmilla promised, stroking Laura's hair as she passed by her.

"We will be alright, and I will continue to chase my dream. Through it all, we will stay together, help one another, and support each other. That is all we need now and may it be all we ever need." Laura promised her in return and pressed back with a bright grin when Carmilla leaned down to kiss her.