Chapter 12 | Cole

What football skills would a bunch of sophomores have?

I don't understand why the coach would let them join the team. Half of the year ten boys' voices hadn't even broken yet! They were midgets with no muscle. Had they even hit puberty yet?

My thoughts were a slight exaggeration, considering I tried out for the team in year ten, but I wasn't tiny at all. It was also hypocritical.

But still, I believed they'd just drag us down. It should be seniors and juniors. But the school's team wasn't very large, we needed a few extra players for this season. Most schools in the area had only seniors and juniors playing. But our school wasn't very big.

We were sitting on the benches watching them all tryout. Coach wanted us involved in deciding who would and wouldn't make it.

But the only person on the team that was taking the tryouts seriously was Mycah, our current captain, and quarterback.

I believed I was just as passionate about football as Mycah and I tried to take it seriously but it was hard with Dylan, Isaac, Ant, and the twins goofing off, I wanted to fool around with them as well.

"He's good," Mycah nudged me and pointed to a kid with curly blond hair.

"Yeah, and his friend is good, not as good, but hey, at least he's got some size and weight on him," I said about the tall dark brown haired boy standing next to the curly haired one.

"They'll get it for sure. It's only been fifteen minutes and they've already made such a great impression."

"Hey, bro!" Mycah abruptly shouted, making me jump.

I looked over and saw Myles and two girls walking on either side of him.

"Have you come to wait?" Mycah asked.

"Yeah but I'm not here waiting for you this time. I'm watching my friends," He replied.

"Oh. Who are your friends?" Mycah said.

"Jackson and Arsen." He pointed over at the two boys we were just talking about.

"Are they any good?" Myles asked.

"Actually, they're probably the best trying out, right now."

"Really? That's great. You have to let them on the team; they've been waiting forever." A girl with bronze coloured skin, that I'd seen around said.

"We'll see," Mycah said to her.

Loud shouts interrupted coming from the junior and senior boys watching the tryouts. They were probably hyped up about something dumb.

"Come, sit with us," Mycah said.

All the benches were taken by them all. The only bench left for them here was the one he and Mycah were sitting on. Unless they wanted to sit on the stadium.

Mycah was on the right edge of the seat, leaving all the space left next to me.

The girls sat on the left side leaving Myles to sit in the middle next to me. I tried not to groan. I knew it was going to be impossible to avoid him completely, but straight away we're already sitting next to one another.

His elbow brushed my bicep as he sat down and he gave a nervous glance at me.

He reminded me so much of someone.

I didn't speak to Mycah or his friends. In fact, it was only Mycah and I talking at all. Myles and his friend sitting on the other side of him were watching the tryouts intently and the short, blonde girl was on her phone.

When the tryouts were over Mycah said, "Thanks for coming. The Coach and I will make the final decisions on who make the team tomorrow morning and the list of people who made it will go up tomorrow afternoon.

"Jackson and Arsen will get it for sure," I heard Myles say.

"Of course, they are the best here," Spencer said.

"Come on, buddy. Let's go home," Mycah said to Myles.

"Okay."

"Oi, see you later, man," Mycah said to me.

"Bye, dude. Bye, Myles."

I didn't hear Myles say goodbye but I did see him mouth the words whilst looking at me.

That was a good sign. This shouldn't be too hard.

-

I sighed as I laid down on my bed.

I hadn't been getting the best sleep lately. Too many thoughts. Between school work, my friends, Myles and missing my favourite person.

I looked over at my bedside table. That damn picture. I hated it. But I loved it.

It was a photo of me with my arms wrapped around the best person ever on their birthday.

That person was long gone.

And it was all my bloody fault.

But I decided I wasn't going to drink my depressing thoughts away. Or party or smoke or have sex.

Just sleep.

When I woke up I felt better, fresher. Dylan was picking me up for school. I didn't have a car of my own. Just my parent's cars. But they had taken them to work.

"How's it going?" Dylan asked when I got into the passenger seat of his car.

"Not too bad, man."

He instantly put on the radio. He was a massive rap fan. He knew just about every song and could sing the rap. And he was bloody good at it too. He was rapping and doing a little dance whilst driving.

And me? I couldn't sing, rap, dance or anything to do with music.

Isaac could sing and play guitar, Kade used to play piano and I vaguely remember listening to Mycah say he could also play guitar.

Could Myles play guitar too? Or sing? I briefly wondered about his hobbies and talents. I don't know why I was wasting my time on someone I barely know and is practically scared of me.

He's a cute little bugger, though. And I couldn't stop thinking about him

When I got through the doors I saw something strange. It was Roman and Violet flirting. I didn't even know they were aware that the other existed.

"Weird, isn't?" A voice said from behind me.

I spun around to face Gianna. I hadn't spoken to her since the party.

"Mmhmm," I hummed and looked at the scene again.

When I looked back down, she was gone.

Strange. But it's not like either of us were really up for a conversation after our one night stand.

———————————————

I feel like this is kinda a filler chapter, but I don't really want to admit that it is. Anyway, hope is was enjoyable. Don't forget to vote and comment, thanks I appreciate it.