Chapter 11: Frostbite

I helped Ender set up the notifications from the police station. It took a bit of hacking, but not enough for the government to find out. I hooked the security cameras of the town on the computer so we would be able to see what we were dealing with. Finally, Ender and I sped around placing cameras of our own that would allow us to see heat. 

When we got back into the attic, I high fived Ender and then looked to see what Charley was doing. He seemed to be messing around with chemicals and was very into his work so, I knew he wouldn't want to be bothered. I looked over at Chirpy, Delaney, and Salem and saw they were putting together a workstation for all of us. Each of us got a desk with our own computer and a headset. 

Charley helped make suits for all of us. Bilbo's suit was whitish gray and looked similar to his normal clothes. His eye patch was the same color as his clothes. He had gray gloves on his hands that he could take off easily in combat. Delaney didn't really need a suit seeming as she was made of metal, but Charley made her one anyway. It was able to withstand her transformation so she wouldn't rip her clothes when she turned into metal. Chirpy's suit was electric proof. Meaning it wouldn't zap her when she used her electricity. Charley and Ender's suits were like normal speedster suits with the flexible fabric. Charley was yellow and Ender was red. Charley made me a suit that was flexible and was able to withstand my shapeshifting, so I wouldn't ruin it when I shifted. Salem's suit was kinda similar to a robot, but not really. Since she was the only one without powers, Charley decided to give her some gadgets. She had fire she could shoot out of her gloves and her suit could withstand any impact. Of course, Charley used Delaney to try out the first prototype which Del destroyed rather quickly in one punch. After a couple of tries Charley, finally found the right material and gave it her. I walked over towards Salem and smiled.

"This place has come along nicely." I commented

"Yea. I cannot believe Charley made me a suit." she said

"Why not? You are part of the team." I said.

"You're right." she smiled.

"Hey guys would you two mind helping us with these work spaces?" Delaney called

"We're coming!" Salem said. 

We walked over and put the desks in a circular shape so we could all look at each other. I heard an alert notification from my computer and headed over towards it to see what it was. 

"Guys! There's a man that can shoot ice out of his hand downtown!" I called

"Everyone suit up!" Charley yelled. He came over to me and smiled.

"I never thought I'd say that. This feels like a movie come to life."

"Yea. it really does." 

After we got our suits on I sighed. Everyone stared at me.

"We need someone staying here to man the computer." I said

"I'll do it!" Salem said

"Alright then Salem. We'll be back." Delaney said.

"Good luck guys!" She called as we headed out.

Charley, Ender, and I rushed towards the scene first, seeming as we were the fastest. The man smiled maliciously at us.

"So, the kids are here. Good. That's all I needed." He said

"What?" Charley asked.

"You see, there is another person causing a storm." He smiled.

I heard Salem call into everyone's ear pieces, "Guys! There is a bomb threat somewhere in the city!"

I looked at Charley, "Charley, Ender, and I will look for it. The rest of you take the ice man down."

Charley and Ender nodded at me, and we all sped off in different directions. I searched the northern side of the city. I heard someone in the earpiece and stopped so I could hear them.

"I found the bomb!" Delaney said.

"Where is it?" Chirpy asked

"Its in the school! He lured us away from the school!" she said.

"Alright. Ender, You need to go and help Chirpy and Bilbo with the ice man. Aliana and I will help Delaney with the bomb." Charley said.

"Will do." Ender said and we could hear him racing towards the scene.

"We should call him Frostbite." I heard Ender murmur into the earpiece as I sped towards the school. I headed into the basement of the school to find Charley and Delaney already there.

"Okay. So we need to cut the blue wire." I said.

"Already done." Charley said after he clipped it.

"Next we need to rip out the red wire without touching the yellow wire." I said

"Delaney, go guard the door. Aliana and I got it here." Charley said.

She narrowed her eyes, but didn't argue. She headed towards the door and blocked it.

"Okay we don't have any tweezers." Charley said.

"We don't need any." I said. 

Charley looked at me confused and I turned myself into an earwig. I felt the familiar unsettling feeling. I heard a snap and then I was low to the ground. I snapped my pinchers and headed inside the wiring of the bomb. I heard Chirpy say they caught the ice man and that they brought him to the police. All that was left was the bomb. I cut the red wire and gently brought it out without touching the yellow one. I heard the bomb deactivate and sighed in relief. Charley took the red wire from my pinchers. I jumped onto the floor and turned to normal.

"That was amazing!" He said

"It's the first time I've been able to control it." I said smiling.

"We did it team!" Ender said

"First win. This calls for a celebration." Delaney said

"Anyone want to go get a drink?" Chirpy asked

"Uh, Chirps, we are only in high school!" Charley yelled through the earpiece. I held my head as Charley destroyed my ear drums. He mumbled sorry to everyone else.

When we were all back in the lab, we got out of our suits and smiled.

"Sure, we had a few setbacks, but nothing we couldn't handle." Ender said

"I-im g-going to b-bed." Bilbo said and headed back to his and Char's dorm room.

Salem frowned and Delaney did as well.

"Well it is late and we have school in the morning." Salem said.

"Awesome! Normal high school students by day and crime fighting superhero team by night!" Ender said.

"We aren't normal, idiot." Delaney said

"Oh, whatever. Let me have my fun." He huffed.

The group split off into their dorms and went to sleep. I smiled and recounted the night's events as I fell asleep.