Chapter 14: Futuristic Threat

When we got to the training area, Krista had blown out all the lights. The only light filtering through was sunlight. Charley and I were in front while Ender, Chirpy, and Salem were right behind us. I scowled at her and she smiled when she saw us.

"This is going to be fun. I get to bust The Flash's grandson's eardrums." She smirked at Charley

Charley clenched his teeth together and stared at her.

"What do you want, Rathaway?" He asked

"I want revenge for what you did to my grandfather." She said

"I didn't do anything to Hartley." Charley said with a hint of ice in his voice. 

The tension between them was strong and it was illuminating off of them in waves.

She smiled, "Oh, but you did. You just don't know it yet." 

Charley stared at her confused while Salem, Ender, Chirpy, and I stared at Charley confused.

"What do you-" he stopped in mid sentence.

"What is it?" I asked him in a whisper.

"She's not from this timeline." He said to me as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"What?" Chirpy asked confused

"She's from the future." He said louder.

"Correct! You are smarter than I thought." She said

"Or maybe you are just dumb in general." Salem murmured.

Krista stared daggers at Salem and smirked. Salem fell to the ground in obvious pain. She looked up to us and gasped.

"How are-you not-affected?" She managed to gasp out

"What do you mean?" Chirpy asked as she kneeled down towards her.

"You don't hear the frequency?" She asked. We shook our heads no. Krista laughed and stared at us.

"It should be obvious to you guys. I'll give you five minutes to figure it out. Good luck." She said. 

She didn't stop whatever was happening with Salem. I frowned. We can't hear the frequency. Well, Salem doesn't have powers so, of course, she alone could hear it, I thought. I smirked at Krista and started to test my theory.

"Only non metas can hear the frequency. Since our genetics are altered, we can't hear it. Therefore, it doesn't affect us." I said. Everyone stared at me in shock.

"What?" I asked them

"Did you just make a scientific statement?" Ender asked in awe.

"Umm yea? What's wrong with that?" I asked

"I didn't think you had it in you. I'm proud." Ender and Charley said at the same time. I looked between them and shivered. That was creepy.

"Ding ding ding! A point goes to Aliana! Charley's apprentice." Krista said.

"His..apprentice?" I asked

"Well yea. After you lot split up and go your separate ways you realize Charley has known more about the super speed than anyone else. So, he trains you. Teaches you thing you wouldn't have dreamed of doing on you're own." Krista said.

"Krista! Stop telling us the future." Charley yelled

"How about...no" she said in a stubborn way.

"You could ruin something." Charley said. That's when a light bulb went off. She was trying to change the future.

"Charley, she's doing it on purpose." I told him. His eyes flickered in understanding and he looked at Krista.

"Why aren't you attacking?" He asked
"Well umm..." she started. 

Charley ran forwards and ran right through her. She gritted her teeth when she saw what Charley had done.

"Why you little-" she started, but I cut her off.

"You're a hologram?! Then how did you hurt Bilbo and Delaney?" I asked

"I was never human. My grandfather created me. He gave me the powers. All I had to do, was use them." She said

"So, technically you aren't real." Ender said.

"Wrong Sir!" She yelled

"I am real. The most real hologram of the twenty second century." She stated proudly.

"Oh." Chirpy said

"That's right. Honestly, you guys are dumb." She laughed

Charley went over to the projection and smirked.

"Goodbye Krista." He said.

"What? What are you doing?! You can't do-" and Charley shut her off. I sighed. I was hoping for a fight, but this worked too.

"For a hologram, she really didn't know when to shut her mouth." Chirpy grumbled as we walked back to the lab in the attic. 

We told Bilbo and Del that she was really a hologram. They frowned when we told them and asked a lot more questions after that. So, our first futuristic threat. I knew there would be more. I didn't think it would be so soon, though.