I Don't Want To Be Your Enemy [8]

Back in the Great Hall, eating for lunch. Hungry students in each house were all sitting at the tables, practically stuffing fork fulls of food into their mouths. Thankfully, since last night, Ron hadn't chosen to bother Harry again about the fact that he had found him sneaking back in at night. Harry was honestly hoping that he had forgotten.

The boy with green eyes was sat, staring into space as he lazily picked at his food. His brightly coloured orbs were caught staring over to the Slytherin table, where he could see Draco sitting with a large group of his friends, eating and talking. Draco however, didn't look one for conversation. Instead, he seemed to just be doing the same thing that Harry was, staring off into the abyss. At least, until Draco's eyes rose to meet Harry's and a faint grin fell on the blonde boys face. Harry was almost ready to smile back at him, until...

"Harry! Harry!" Hermione's voice called, snapping him back to reality. He rose his eyebrows, wondering why she had been calling his name.

"Yeah, sorry, what?" Harry questioned, earning a frown from Hermione.

"Are you okay?" She asked. "You seem to be completely out of it..."

Before Harry could reply, sitting next to Hermione at the table, was Ginny, giving a kind smile to the group of three, especially Harry.

"Hey guys!" Ginny chimed.

"Oh, hey Ginny." Ron spoke.

"Harry, you didn't answer my question." Hermione pressed, looking back at the boy with the scar.

"I'm perfectly fine. Just tired, that's all." Harry reassured her, smiling.

"Yeah, I bet you're tired." Ron commented, getting Ginny and Hermione's attention.

"What?" Harry replied.

"Oh come on. Like I would have forgotten. I saw you come in last night, in the middle of the night, trying to carefully sneak back in unnoticed. Where did you even go?"

"Nowhere." Harry lied.

"What a load of rubbish!" Ron spat.

"Harry, why won't you just say? Is it that much of a secret?" Ginny wondered.

Exhaling, Harry scratched the back of his head, wondering how to truthfully explain the situation. How could he really and honestly tell his friends that he had become friends with Draco Malfoy? They'd think he was crazy, completely mad. Or maybe they'd just assume that Draco was just trying to trick him, get on his good side so that he could do something unbelievably grim. Harry himself had found it hard to trust Draco, but he was willing to give the guy a chance. He just didn't know if his friends would be so willing.

"I... I ran into Dra-- Malfoy." Harry answered, earning small gasps from each of his friends. They stared at him, as if he had dropped the biggest bombshell onto the table. But that wasn't even the tip of the iceberg. He couldn't imagine how much they were gonna freak when he was going to tell them he had befriended their enemy.

"You ran into Malfoy? What happened? He didn't do anything, did he, Harry?" Ginny asked, clearly worried. 

"No, no. I'm fine, Malfoy didn't do anything."

"Hold on a second." Ron muttered, interrupting the conversation. "Did you almost just call Malfoy by his first name? You never do that." 

"What? No. What are you talking about, Ron?" 

"You know what I'm talking about, Harry! You were going to call him by his first name! You're friends with him now, aren't you!" Ron exclaimed, clearly distraught as he had jumped to the conclusion all on his own. 

"I.. Uh..." Harry frowned, trying to look for an excuse. 

"I heard my name over here." A voice spoke from behind Harry. 

Raising his eyebrows, Harry spun his head around to see Draco with his arms crossed, his friends Crabbe, Goyle and Blaise all standing with him as their eyes glazed back at the Gryffindor students. Ron narrowed his eyes at the green tied student, obviously not liking the fact that he had come over.

"What's it to you, Malfoy?" Ron spat. 

"Everything. If you guys are talking behind my back, then I have a right to know."

"Just go away, Malfoy." Hermione said, gritting her teeth in frustration. Draco furrowed his eyebrows, clearly not liking her response.

"Why don't you shut it? Don't even talk to me, you filthy mud blood." Draco snapped. Hermione glared back at him, as Harry slightly flinched, not liking the way Draco was treating his friends. 

"Just stop, Malfoy." Harry said, going back to referring to the boy by his last name. Draco wasn't sure whether Harry was just doing it to keep up an act in front of his friends, as if he was ashamed to be called his friend, or that maybe he had ticked off Harry, and Harry was actually angry with him. But how did he expect Draco to just stand by and take the filth from his disgusting friends? It was okay for them to insult him, but he couldn't say anything back?! That sounded like absolute crap.

But, not wanting to upset Harry any more by escalating the argument any further, Draco just simply rolled his eyes as he began to walk off with his goons.

"Whatever. Just wait until my father hears about this!" Draco called over his shoulder, making the four friends shake their heads, hearing the same line from him that he had said over and over for the past several years. 

"Well... That could have gone better." Ron mumbled. The others, besides Harry, nodded in agreement at his comment. To be completely honest, Harry was debating whether or not to chase after Draco, to demand why he would start a fight with his friends. After all, if THEY were going to be friends with each other, then Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny and Draco were just going to get along. He didn't want it to have to be a situation where it would turn into choosing between one or the other, or making Draco his enemy again. He wanted to give him a chance, something that he didn't always give to people who tended to cross him or his friends.

"Yeah..." Harry finally spoke, deciding to climb out of his seat. Hermione frowned, watching him in confusion.

"Where in the world are you going, Harry?" She asked. 

"To tell you guys the truth, I'm not really hungry. I think I'm just going to go back to the common room. I'll see you guys later." Harry spoke, waving to them before descending on his way to go and find Draco Malfoy.