Just A Phase [10]

God damn it! God damn it! 

Draco found himself, pacing around in the common room of the Slytherin house. He put one foot in front of the other, wringing his hands together as he kept closing his eyes, thinking back to the argument he just had moments ago with Harry. He had stormed off, leaving Harry completely alone in the hallway. Nice one. Draco thought to himself. How could he expect Harry to be his friend if all he continued to do was lash out at him? He didn't want to treat Harry like garbage, now that he had actually gotten the chance to talk to him, and his father didn't really have the time to mess with his school life anymore. But because of his stupid friends, already Draco had snapped and probably ticked Harry off.

It only spiralled his emotions further downwards into a black hole, with no escape. As if it didn't feel bad enough, feeling like he had fallen for the idiot. And that's when it hit him. Maybe that's why he got so easily upset, so easily distraught. He really did care about Harry... He really did have... Feelings for him, like he hadn't wanted to admit. 

How did he expect Harry to even love him?! It was a sad thought, one that wouldn't even come true. One that was made up just because of his annoying and pathetic imagination. There was no chance that he, Draco Malfoy, would ever get with the boy, Harry Potter. Not one chance.

"You were quite a drama queen out there, don't you think?" Someone's voice spoke, as they were entering the common room with two people following behind. Again, it was Pansy, Blaise and Crabbe. Draco narrowed his eyes, stopping in his tracks when he saw them.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Draco demanded, loosely dropping his arms to his sides. 

"You know what I mean." Pansy commented, stepping closer to him with the others. "Since when did you want to be friends with that Potter boy?" 

His eyes widened slightly the moment that very question had escaped from her mouth. They knew? Had they hidden around the corner listening and Draco just didn't see them when he stormed off? He didn't want people knowing about his secret admiration for The Chosen One, especially these three. 

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Draco said, denying everything. But Pansy was not buying it. 

"Yes you do! We're not idiots, Draco. Even though you may think we are." She exhaled, rolling her eyes. "We heard you talking from down the hall. Why do you so badly want to be friends with him?"

"Yeah, what is he? Like, your boyfriend or something?" Crabbe mocked, earning a small laugh from Blaise. Draco glared at them, once again balling up his fists in frustration. The blonde haired boy felt his cheeks slightly burn from the teasing, and evident by the expression on his face, they had obviously gotten to him.

"You better shut your mouth, Crabbe!" Draco barked.

"I was just joking. No need to get so defensive." Crabbe commented. "Unless it's the truth?"

"It is not!" Draco protested, getting more worked up by the second. Pansy rose an eyebrow, confused as to where the situation was now going. Her eyes trailed back and forth between Crabbe and Draco, before finally stopping on Draco and her eyes slowly began to widen as her mouth opened, hanging ajar.

"You... You like him, don't you?! YOU HAVE A CRUSH ON HARRY POTTER?!" Pansy screeched, clearly shocked, managing to reach the conclusion as if she had worked it out all on her own. Draco cringed, not knowing what to say or do to even deny what she had called out. 

"Why would you even like him? He's an absolute prat." Crabbe said. "Besides, since when were you gay?" 

 Draco gritted his teeth, flaring his nostrils. 

"You idiots are being foolish! I despise Potter, just as much as much as the next guy! We aren't friends, and we sure as hell aren't boyfriends! Just leave me alone, stop being so annoying! Unless you want me to tell my father about you guys being absolute wastes of space!" 

His friends stared back at him, saying nothing. Feeling like he had won, Draco went up to go to bed, sitting on top of the covers and leaning his back against his pillow. He sighed, starting to nervously wring his hands together once more.

His thoughts continued to whirl around the inside of his head, making him physically sick to his stomach. He was so frustrated with himself for acting that way towards Harry. So angry that he began to actually clench his fists in fury.

"Draco..." Blaise's voice murmured, as his friend came up to their room, his feet tapping their way up the stairs. The blonde Slytherin frowned when he saw Blaise in the corner of his eye, standing at the top of the stairs. He exhaled once more, clearly on edge.

"What do you want...?" 

"Draco, tell me," Blaise started, walking across the room, stopping just a few feet from Draco's bedside as he crossed his arms and looked down at him. "honestly, how do you feel about Harry?" Blaise finished. 

"Why does it matter so much?!" Draco wailed. Blaise frowned. 

"Well," He muttered, sitting on the other bed, still facing towards Draco as he clasped his hands together. "because WE'RE friends, Draco. And I feel like maybe this is the thing that was on you're mind when I tried to talk to you in the library. After all, I noticed that Harry and Ginny were there, and you seemed to... I don't know, you seemed sad for some reason." 

Frowning, the blonde student stayed silent, not knowing how to answer. His eyes slowly trailed away from Blaise's face as it seemed nothing but despair was showing from his two orbs. He brought his hands up to his face, lost for words as his friend just watched him closely, expecting an answer but still not getting one. But to his luck, Draco eventually removed his hands, putting them back to his sides as he glanced over to him once more, opening his mouth to speak.

"Listen, Blaise, please promise me something." Draco said, his voice sounding serious, but somewhat fragile at the same time as he sat up, hanging his legs over the side of the bed, staring back at Blaise. Blaise rose a brow, surprised at his sudden attitude as he was willing to cooperate and give him answers. Blaise nodded.

"Alright, sure. What's up?" 

"Promise me, that what I'm going to tell you, you can't tell anyone. And I mean, ANYONE! You understand?" 

"...Okay...? Where are you going with this, Draco?"

"The truth is, I don't just see Harry as a friend... I... Blaise, I somehow developed a crush on him." Draco confessed, looking away as he did not want to see the reaction on Blaise's face. Shock had definitely crossed it, as his friend sat there fazed, not really knowing what to say to something like that. 

When the silence had lasted for a moment that was considered uncomfortable, one of the pair finally spoke, interrupting the awkward tension.

"So... You like Harry, huh?" Blaise repeated, causing Draco to slowly nod, not looking him in the eyes. Blaise sat, sighing as he slowly shook his head and shrugged.

"Fine, I'll keep your secret." He said. Draco looked back at him, his eyes wide.

"You will?!"

"Of course. I don't really see what profit I'd get out of spreading it around anyway. And besides, I wouldn't make such a big deal out of it."

"What do you mean?" 

"Well, for all you know, it might just be a phase. You might just think you like him for some stupid reason, when maybe you really don't. Just you wait, you two will probably be back to insulting each other in a number of days, or even weeks." 

Just a phase? Well, it could be possible. It wasn't completely impossible that Draco could have just thought he loved The Boy Who Lived when really he didn't. After all, he was still quite a lonely person, even after everything that happened. It's not like it was easy to rebuild a reputation around here at school and it's not like he had ever been in a relationship before. So, maybe he just felt like he wanted Harry, because he felt like there was no one else he could go after. 

A part of him really hoped that was the case. 

Another part of him really hoped it wasn't.