I Know How It Feels [13]

A broken arm, that's something that Harry definitely did not expect to get during that  game. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time.

Though, neither had he expected to lose at a game of quidditch to Draco Malfoy. He had no idea what happened. Draco just bumped into him and he suddenly veered out of control, being sent straight to the ground where he then crashed. Not that he was really angry at Draco for what happened. It was a competitive game, quidditch. And he was the one who basically threw the first punch, deciding to be super cocky.

Anyway, now he was lying in the hospital wing with his two friends, Ron and Hermione at his bed side. Well, he didn't really know whether Ron was his friend or not. They did have an argument, and Ron was angry, telling him to choose a side. But now that he was actually injured, here he was, back at his side again. 

"You feeling okay, Harry?" Hermione wondered, a small smile on her face as she watched over her friend. He managed a small nod.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's not like I haven't broken my arm before." Harry grinned, looking down at his arm which was currently hung in a sling.

"Well, at least you didn't lose any bones this time." Ron joked, earning a small chuckle from both Harry and Hermione. "But blimey, Harry. Malfoy could have seriously hurt you. Do you see what I mean? He's just as bad as he was before." 

"Wait, what?" Hermione rose a brow, clearly oblivious to the situation at hand. No one had told her that Harry had befriended Draco. The only people who knew were Ron, George and Fred. Oh, and some of Draco's friends seemed to know as well, seeing as they had been spying on Harry and Draco from down the hall the other day. Ron frowned, looking over to Hermione, then to Harry and back again.

"Harry became friends with Malfoy." 

"You what?!" Hermione cried, looking at Harry with wide, shocked eyes. "Why? Why would you become friends with him?!" 

"Well..." Harry started, tilting his head to the  side a little as he went to explain. "There's more to him than you think, Hermione. I mean, I know he seems like a jerk on the surface. But there's a lot more beneath his personality than you might think." 

"Are you forgetting whose side he was on during  the war? He sided with Voldemort. And he didn't even apologise for it when we got back to school!"

"That's the thing, Hermione." Harry responded. "Draco never wanted to be on Voldemort's side. He was just afraid of being killed."

"That doesn't give him any reason to treat us the way he does." 

"He said he just acted that way because he didn't know of any other way to get my attention."

"How does that make sense?!"

"And why does he just want your attention specifically?" Ron quizzed, clearly puzzled. Harry opened his mouth to speak with an answer, but nothing. He firmly shut it, now being confused himself. Ron was right. Why was it that Draco so badly wanted his attention? Surely it couldn't have just been because he was seen as the "chosen one", right? Draco never seemed to buy into all that rubbish, like he never really cared about the fact that he was considered famous.

So, what was it about Harry that drew Draco to so badly wanting his friendship? He didn't get it. 

"....I can come back later if I'm not welcome." A  voice said from the doorway. The voice, obviously belonging to Draco. Both Ronald and Hermione glared at him the moment they saw him, clearly not wanting him present.

"What do you want, Malfoy?"

"Can't I just be here without you always trying to make me go away?" Draco seethed through gritted teeth. 

"You were the one who hurt Harry in the first place. Why would you want to see him?" Ron spat. 

"Will you guys just stop?!" Harry snapped, earning everyone's attention in the room. He exhaled, rolling his eyes. "Look, it was a game of quidditch. This sort of stuff happens. Can we just all stop arguing for a minute?" He finished, his eyes tracing to each of the faces that stared back at him in silence. Draco slowly walked across the room, going onto the other side of Harry's bed, opposite Ron and Hermione. But they did not dare to look him in the eye. Finally, someone spoke.

"Sorry about hitting you off your broom, Harry." Draco apologised. Harry's face once managed a small smile.

"It's fine. Really. Quidditch is a competitive game. I wouldn't expect you to back down. Congrats on winning, by the way." 

"Uh... Thanks." Draco replied, his eyes going back to the other two who were now staring at the pair with not looks of anger, but looks of confusion. Draco frowned, looking like he was going to open his mouth to say something, but before he got the chance, another person came in, startling all of them.

"Harry! Oh my  god, Harry! Are you okay?!" Ginny cried, practically pushing past Draco and taking Harry's free hand into hers. Harry laughed a little, as she gave him a kiss on the forehead.

"I'm okay." 

"Good! You had me so worried! But you've broken your arm! And it was this idiot's fault!" She grimaced, narrowing her eyes at Draco. Draco furrowed his brows, wanting to snap back but then thought best of it and just exhaled, shaking his head as he watched the two talk and stare into each other's eyes with love and compassion. Again, Draco felt a weight push down onto his chest, as he just seemed to loath the feeling of seeing them together.

Why couldn't that be me? Draco heard himself think. 

It was obvious that he cared about Harry, that he loved him. There was no point in denying it anymore. In fact, at this point Draco was willing to believe that his admiration for the boy had always been there from the very beginning. He just didn't want to believe it was the truth, he tried to replace it with hate, hoping it would make him feel better. But it only made him feel worse. He wished he could have been Harry's friend from the beginning. Maybe things could have been so much different. Maybe then scareface wouldn't have fallen in love with that Weasley girl and they could have fought against Voldemort together. 

But instead it had become him and them. He ended up alone, with everyone thinking he was the bad guy. 

In sadness, Draco finally took a step away, not even going to say goodbye to Harry as he seemed too busy talking to Ginny to even notice his departure. As he walked out the hospital wing, to his surprise he did actually hear someone lightly call his name from behind him. He turned around to see Hermione, looking concerned. 

"What?" Draco murmured, waiting impatiently for whatever she had to say. For a moment, she said nothing, just simply studying his face as he gazed back at her. It was then that a look of sympathy fell upon her face, as if she had realised something. 

"What?" Draco repeated. She just shook her head.

"Nothing... It's just... I see why you're upset." Hermione spoke. 

"Why do you care?" 

"Well..." Hermione frowned, crossing her arms. "I'm not saying I instantly like you, but Harry did tell me that you aren't as bad as you make yourself out to be... And seeing as Harry is my best friend, I'm willing to trust his judgement. So, like him, I'm willing to give you a chance." 

"Really?"

"Yeah..." Hermione nodded. "But listen... I see the way you look at Harry. You really do care, don't you?" 

The blonde boy said nothing, not knowing what to say. His eyes went to the floor, basically confirming what she had asked as fact. She exhaled, looking over her shoulder for a moment before looking back at him.

"Look, I know how hard it is to see someone you care about with someone else... To tell the truth, I didn't know that you'd ever think of Harry that way, or that you were even into guys but... I sincerely hope you get through it, seeing as I know how much it hurts." Hermione finished. Draco gave her a bittersweet smile, slowly nodding before replying.

"Thanks..." Draco croaked. It felt so wrong, the word slipping off his tongue as he had never been grateful towards this girl ever. But maybe, for once, he could just at least be a tad thankful, even if he didn't really know how to get along with her. It was then that he simply sighed, before slowly turning on his heel and starting to slowly walk his way back down the hall, alone.