Reminder [17]

Eventually, the flying around did stop, and the two ended up landing in the quidditch pitch. Draco didn't really feel like going back to his dorm yet, so instead he motioned to Harry to just lie on the grass beside him, so they could stare up at the night sky. Not seeming to protest, Harry put the broomstick down beside him, joining Draco down on the floor, lying next to him. He felt the grass from the pitch lightly brush against his skin as he nestled into it, trying to get as comfortable as he possibly could.

The Slytherin smiled, gazing up at all the stars above. Unlike the ceiling in Hogwarts, when you glanced up at this, at the real darkness of the midnight sky, it was definitely so much better. It was like you could get lost in it, staring endlessly into all those glowing lights above. Draco lazily lifted an arm up into the air, squinting one eye as he pointed with his finger, seeming to trace his fingers over the stars. Harry rose a brow, completely oblivious to what he was trying to do.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Harry asked.

"I'm trying to see if I can find the Draco constellation." Draco explained. 

"There's a constellation named Draco?" Harry questioned, Draco chuckled.

"I feel like you've never really paid much attention in Astronomy class." Draco joked, before continuing to explain. "Yeah... It's kind of weirdly shaped but... I can't seem to find it." Draco pouted. 

"I didn't even know you were into constellations and all that."

"Yeah well, there's a lot you don't know about me." Draco replied, gazing over to Harry for a split second, before placing his eyes back on the sky above. Harry smirked.

"Oh yeah? Give me for instance." 

"What?" 

"Well, you said you wanted us to hang out. And I'm assuming if you want us to be friends, then you want to get to know me, as I should get to know you, so... We should talk about ourselves. Get things out in the open for once." 

"Get things... Out in the open...?" Draco repeated, seeming hesitant. He didn't really know about the idea of sharing thoughts and feelings about his life. To be honest, Draco had never really ever been good at expressing his feelings to everyone. In fact, he never really knew anyone who had actually shown an interest in properly getting to know him. Harry was probably the first ever person to actually ask him about himself. In a weird way, it kind of warmed his heart.

"Well... What could we talk about...?" Draco muttered, crossing his arms over his stomach as he waited for Harry to reply. All he could hear was the faint sound of Harry's breathing as he seemed to be thinking about some way to start a conversation.

"Uh... What do you like to do in your free time? Do you have any hobbies?" Harry tried, earning a shrug from Draco. "You don't have any hobbies?"

"I don't know... I'm not really an interesting person, Harry. I've spent... A lot of my life just cooped up in a small world. Quite an isolated one at that. It's not easy being a Slytherin, Harry. If you had been put in Slytherin that very first day, maybe you would have known what it feels like to be shut off from the rest of the world. But as a Gryffindor, other houses actually support you. It's easier for you to make friends. For us, people just assume we're all dark and shifty. That we're always up to no good. Especially for me, after everything that happened. I can't blame anyone for thinking I'm a bad person, even you, but at the same time, it's like, you guys don't really understand what I went through, why I had to do what I did..." 

"Draco, I no longer believe you're a bad person." Harry confessed. "At first, maybe I didn't really trust you all that much but... I'm pretty much one hundred percent sure you're not a bad person."

"I was just scared, Harry. I was scared for my own life, for my mother and father's. Even if my dad always treated me like a piece of garbage whenever I came to disappoint him... I just wanted him to be proud of me. It's why I always tried so hard and why I acted like I hated you, because I didn't want him to look down on me like I wasn't even his son."

"...Yeah... Well, I'm sorry."

"Huh?" 

"I said I'm sorry." Harry repeated. Confused, Draco propped himself up onto his elbow, leaning the side of his head into his hand as he looked down at Harry. 

"Why are you apologising?" 

"Because it must have been hard. Having a dad who only seemed to care about you achieving what HE wanted, rather than what you wanted to do with your life. To be cut off from everyone else, to not easily fit in. I mean, I always assumed you were just being an utter prat but... I suppose you might have had your reasons. You were just raised in a bad family." 

Speechless, Draco stared at The Chosen One, completely taken aback that he'd even say such a thing. He really wasn't expecting it, he wasn't expecting Harry to accept him or even understand him. Matter of factly, he never really imagined talking about himself to anyone. So, the fact that that even happened at all, that he had spoken about himself to another person, even that was a huge shocker. Managing a small smile, Draco laughed a little, lifting his head from his hand as he used his hand to pick at the grass, avoiding Harry's eye contact.

"Thanks, Potter... But... I should even be grateful I have parents... Seeing as... You know."

"You can say it, Draco. They died because of Voldemort, I know." Harry sighed, as he brought one of his fingers up to his face, tracing his finger along his scar which was shaped exactly like a lightning bolt. Draco frowned, seeing Harry beginning to poke at his own scar. It made him trail his own hand to his own left arm. It was currently covered by the sleeve of his robes, however, the reminder of what had happened over the years still remained. Even with Voldemort gone, the image of the dark mark still showed on Draco's skin and it would probably never fade away. It would always be there, not allowing him to ever forget what had happened, what he had done.

"Still... I'm sure they were great... They were probably amazing people." Draco murmured, sitting up and stretching out his arms, letting out a small yawn. Clearing his throat, Draco decided to stand up, brushing any dirt and grass off that may have stuck to the back of his robe as he turned back towards Harry who still remained on the ground. "We better head back now. Before anyone notices we're out of bed."

"Oh, yeah, you're right." Harry agreed, picking himself up off the ground to then proceed to pick the broomstick back up so the two could fly back to the courtyard. 

****

Landing back in the courtyard, the pair began to run, putting one foot in front of the other as quickly as they could, hoping to be able to get back to their common rooms as fast as they possibly could without getting caught. Of course, Harry could have used his invisibility cloak, but with Draco suddenly grabbing hold of his hand to pull him along so they could run quicker, he didn't really have the time to do so.

However, to their horror, doing exactly what they hoped not to do: they ran into Severus Snape who happened to be wondering the halls at this hour. The two boys came to halt, trying their best not to bump into each other as the teacher stared down at the two, his face set just as straight as ever, his arms crossed as he narrowed his eyes, looking displeased.

"Well, well, well... What do you two think you are doing... Out of bed?" 

So much for not getting a detention.