Wanting To Be Accepted [27]

"You have got to be insane."

"Hermione..." The boy with the scar sighed as they were walking down the hall from their most recent class. Hermione shook her head, her long flowing hair waving from side to side as she did.

"You're really that serious about dating Malfoy?" She questioned.

"Hermione, keep your voice down! And yes, I am." Harry told her seriously, before she gripped his sleeve to pull them both to a stop.

"You know, Harry. It's pretty bad that you're afraid to admit that you're in a relationship with him. Doesn't that at least say something to you?" Hermione asked. When Harry didn't seem to care for her argument as he continued walking, she followed after him. "Ron is furious you know? He's mad at you for hurting Ginny."

"I'm aware of that Hermione. I caught his glare in the common room this morning. And believe me, it's not like I didn't try to let her down easy. It's not like I never loved her. I just... I wasn't in that place anymore. I can't force myself to be in a relationship, it's not fair on me, it's not fair on her, or even Draco." Harry sighed. "Can't you... Can't you at least make an effort to get along with him?"

"Depends. He might not want to hang out with a mud blood... Look, it's not even me you should be most concerned about. It's Ronald. He looks like he's ready to crack any day now, he's bound to say something to Malfoy." Hermione warned him. "You've got to try and see if you can fix things with Ron. The last thing I want is you two fighting again the way you did in year four when everyone thought you put your name in the Goblet of Fire." She sighed.

"Look, I'll try to talk to him. But it's not my fault if he wants to be the immature one about it." Harry said. "Let's just get to class. We can talk about this later."

****

The bridge became a frequent place that Harry tended to visit when he wanted to be able to talk with Draco in private, as hardly anyone ever came through there, and the last thing they needed was anyone interfering or worrying the Slytherin that his father was going to find out about their relationship.

The two boys were in momentary silence, just standing close together as they were leaning on the wooden railing. Harry was the first to talk.

"Ron is angry with me." The Boy Who Lived admitted to his boyfriend, who glanced towards him, before rolling his eyes.

"Oh, what a surprise. Let me guess, he's mad at you for dumping his boring, plain, good for nothing sister." Draco grumbled, which earned a frown from Harry.

"Draco..."

"Alright, fine, that was a little uncalled for... Sorry." He sighed, as they both looked forward again.

"But... Yes, he's angry at me because I broke up with Ginny... He clearly still doesn't trust you." Harry said, earning a scoff from Draco. "I'm sure if he just gave you a chance, you could get along."

"Well, clearly he doesn't want that, does he? And I can't get along with someone like him if that's how he reacts about every little thing." Draco grumbled, before he noticed three people walking up towards them on the bridge. Harry noticed this too as he stood upright and followed his gaze. It was Ron and the twins.

"Oh great, here we go." Harry frowned as Ronald did not look happy. "What do you want, Ron?"

"What a surprise, that you're hanging out with him not long after you hurt my sister. Were you just using her or something?" He glared at Harry who seemed to give him a glare back. The twins had tried their best to stop Ron from creating any arguments on their way over here, but they clearly hadn't succeeded.

"Oh, just piss off Weasley. Your stupid sister doesn't need you saying shit for her." Draco snarled, causing Ron to take his wand out in anger, pointing it at the Slytherin who quickly did the same, pointing it at the ginger Griffindor.

"Now, come on you two. We don't need anyone getting hurt over something like this." George said.

"Ron, we are sad that Harry and Ginny didn't work out either, but you can't force two people to stay together." Fred added.

"Just let it go, Ronald." They both said. After a moment, Ron slowly lowered his wand, as did Draco.

"I did love her Ron. And I'm sorry that I hurt her, but I did try to let her down easy." Harry spoke honestly. "The last thing I wanted to do was cause her pain. Even the idea of breaking up with her terrified me. Because I thought Hermione and you would hate me afterwards."

"Well obviously you didn't let her down easy enough." Ron snarled. Draco was getting pretty fed up with this ginger's annoying attitude. He was being an absolute pain in the ass, and Draco didn't know how much more of this idiocy.

"Expelliarmus!" With a wave of Draco's wand towards Ron, he was suddenly sent flying back, landing on his back upon the bridge. The two twins looked at each other, small grins on their faces. Even though they should have probably been defending their brother, they couldn't help but chuckle. To be fair, Ron was being a little unreasonable.

"Come on, Ron. Just leave it alone now." The twins said, going to pull him up off the floor and drag him away. The Griffindor and Slytherin stood staring after them for a moment, before both beginning to let out small chuckles of laughter.

"You probably shouldn't have done that." Harry chuckled with a smile. Draco shrugged, putting his wand away.

"I just couldn't stand any more of his whining. Don't worry, Harry. Hell get over it, and if he tells on me and I get a detention..." He shrugged. "Worth it." He joked before he sighed. He did secretly wish that Harry's friends could be more accepting of him. But it probably didn't matter how much he'd try. They'd always hate him, wouldn't they?

"Hey, it's going to be okay. You are right, Ron will get over it at some point, and they'll come around... They are my friends and... They'll learn to be happy for me." Harry said, managing to make a small new smile form on Draco's lips.

At least, that's what he was hoping for.