Nothing Interesting [23]

"I'm sorry we couldn't stick around for Christmas, Harry." Hermione apologised, as she, Ron and Harry were standing on the bridge, staring at the wide view before them. Harry managed a small smile, knowing that he wouldn't be alone for Christmas, that he'd be with Draco. He almost said this, but then thought better of it. He'd only get a lecture if those words came out of his mouth.

"Yeah, well, it's fine, Hermione."

"I would have liked to ask my dad for you to come along with US, Harry." Ron said. "But, you know what my sister is like. She'll be clinging to you with every moment she'd get... So..."

"Yeah, I get what you mean." Harry agreed with a nod, stepping back away from the wooden railing as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "I'll be fine. You two enjoy your holidays, don't go worrying about me."

Saying nothing, his female best friend said nothing, still looking apologetic. You could tell she was sorry with that expression, and the way her eyes stared at him. But he just simply managed to smile back, trying to show that he really wasn't upset and that he'd do just fine with them on holiday.

"Well, be sure to tell me how it goes." Harry continued, as the three started walking, side by side on their way back to the school. "I'm sure you'll have some interesting stories to tell, right?" 

"You bet." Ronald grinned, cheering back up. "But you'll have to talk about your holiday too, Harry. I'm sure you'll have fun...?" 

"Nah, I doubt anything interesting will happen for me. I'll only just bore you." Harry chuckled. 

****

This was probably the first time in years that Draco was overjoyed about Christmas. Any other year he'd just be like "whatever", not really caring that much about the Christmas spirit, with all the hell that he had to go through with Voldemort and the Deatheaters. Everything had just become sour for him, even holidays that were supposed to be full of joy and happiness. But for once, in a long time, things were going to be different, and maybe even normal.

Not to mention that he was going to get to spend it with his huge crush, Harry. Thinking about it that way, it was really difficult not to get excited as the days ticked nearer and nearer, getting closer and closer to Christmas day. With his friends being away, he'd actually get to sit at the table with Harry, walk around school grounds with him, like they had actually been friends from the very beginning.

Though, going back to the beginning of the school year, Draco wouldn't have seen himself like this. If you would have told him that he'd have the biggest crush on the chosen one, he'd tell you that you were unbelievably wrong, and that you had to leave him alone before his father would hear about it. But now, it was totally different. He was different. And he didn't see it as a bad thing. It had been so long since he had even found the will to care about anything after what happened. But now he actually found someone to care for. 

Eventually, the day did come when a lot of students did start going home, including the Weasleys and Granger which the boy from Slytherin was just completely overjoyed about, seeing as they wouldn't be there to bother him with their frustrating remarks. With the way that they acted towards him, Draco still couldn't pluck up the energy to just say "Hey, let's be friends" because no way in hell, was he going to basically get down on his knees and beg for friendship from the Weasleys and the mudblood. 

Okay, so maybe he wasn't completely changed. But still, just because he had an admiration for Harry, did not mean he had to get along with any of them. Harry could beg and moan all he wanted to, but the blonde still couldn't stand them. No matter how hard he tried, they basically just spat in his face before he even got the chance to say a single thing. He wasn't going to be the guy who was just going to stand there and be hammered into the ground by their pathetic excuses for insults. 

Anyway, now they were gone, leaving Harry eating lunch in the Great Hall alone as he just seemed to be reading a newspaper in boredom. Grinning, Draco spotted him as he entered the Great Hall, seeing his messy raven coloured hair and those bright green eyes that just stared down at the paper before him. Practically strutting in, Draco went over, taking a seat besides Harry, catching him a little off guard.

"Hey, Potter." 

"Oh, hey Draco. So, you didn't go home for Christmas, then?"

"No, I already told you that I was staying here during that potions class, remember?" 

"Yeah, I know. I just thought you would have changed your mind. I know what you're like." Harry chuckled, earning an eyebrow raise from Draco.

"What's that supposed to mean, Potter?"

"Well, you know. Is your father really okay with you hanging around 'the chosen one'?" Harry questioned, causing Draco to shift around in his seat, looking a tad uncomfortable by that question.

"Well, he obviously doesn't know I befriended you... And I... Don't exactly plan on telling him that..." Draco murmured. Harry smirked, nodding a little as he lightly nudged Draco with his elbow.

"Yeah well, I don't blame you. I know what your dad is like and he's probably better off thinking we're still enemies."

"I feel like most people are better off knowing that... Especially your... Friends." Draco sighed, resting his chin in the palm of his hand as he glanced over to Harry, who stared back at him through the lens of his round glasses.

"I know that they're finding it hard to... Accept you but... They'll come around, Draco. Eventually. Honestly, I thought I was going to hate your guts forever, but I chose to accept you because I just can't stand all the arguments, all the problems. Just everything. I should have understood that you didn't want to be on Voldemort's side. You did seem pretty vulnerable at the time but... I don't know. I was just cynical about it. I hated that you chose that side because I thought it was totally cowardly... But then again, I guess everyone isn't an idiot like me, huh?" Harry joked, managing a small grin. 

"No, Harry, you weren't an idiot.... Well, maybe sometimes." Draco smirked. "But, you were brave. Braver than me, the one who always ran away. I probably could have fought but... I just chose not to because I was too scared." 

"Yeah, I know... But, I guess that's all in the past now, huh?" 

"Guess so..." Draco nodded a little, before the two of them went silent for a short moment. "Hey, tell you what? Rather than sitting in here all day, why don't we go elsewhere?" Draco continued, getting out of his seat.

"Huh?" Harry frowned. 

"C'mon! It'll be fun!" Draco grinned, grabbing Harry by the wrist and practically pulling him out of his seat.

"H-Hey!" Harry stuttered, before being dragged along behind Draco. Staring at the back of his head, he exhaled and a small smile fell on his face. Not deciding to question Draco's motives, he just followed him along in complete silence to where ever they were off to.