Keeping Secrets [9]

"Nice one back there, Draco!" Crabbe chuckled as he walked alongside him and the others, just after leaving the Great Hall. Goyle and Pansy laughed, but Draco just simply narrowed his eyes and balled his hands up into fists.

"Shut up." Draco spat, catching his three friends a tad off guard, seeing as they had probably expected him to laugh along, to throw more insults in at the students from Gryffindor. Of course, what they didn't know, was the fact that Draco and Harry were friends now. No one knew that apart from the pair, and to tell the truth, Draco wasn't so keen on letting everyone know the truth. At least, not  yet.

He was still confused about his feelings, about how he really felt about the Potter boy. Being friends with him and having time to actually talk to him, he thought it'd give him time to try and process the things inside his mind easier. But, with Harry's annoying friends in the way, he couldn't even get close to him without them telling Draco to clear off. How were they supposed to even get along if his friends would not allow it?

"Malfoy!" Harry's voice called after them, echoing down the hall. They all faced in the direction of the yelling voice, obviously seeing Harry going into a jog after them. Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy all looked at each other with smirks, waiting for their moment of glory to be able to pick on The Chosen One. However, Draco glanced at the three, waving his hand to tell them to go away.

"I'll see you guys later. I need to talk to Potter." Draco said, his voice serious. 

"Wait, but--" Pansy started.

"Go away!" Draco snapped, fully getting their attention. With that in mind, they simply nodded and started to walk down the hall in the opposite direction, leaving Draco and Harry alone to have their own little conversation. Draco stared after his friends, waiting for them to disappear from sight. Once he was sure they were gone, he gazed at Harry, staring into his bright green eyes.

"What is it?" Draco questioned, shoving his hands into the pockets of his trousers. Harry frowned, crossing his arms.

"Draco, listen, about back there..." He paused. "I know I said I would be friends with you, but I also wanted you to be able to get along with Ron, Hermione and Ginny. And of course, the others. You can't keep arguing like this."

"Well, what do you expect me to do?" Draco argued, his tone still calm. "They won't even allow me to get close, they won't give me a chance." 

Not answering, Harry clearly knew that that was true. His friends were going to find it hard to accept Draco in the slightest. And with the way they were being, there was probably going to be no chance that he was going to be invited into the group with open arms. Harry had no idea how he'd sway the minds of his best friends and his girlfriend, but he had to think of something. Then again, he didn't know why he was so badly trying to come up with ideas to try and get Draco into his friendship group. He could have simply given up, to say maybe it's not meant to be and they're just meant to be enemies. But instead, Harry wanted to let him in, to allow him to be a friend, to get to know him more like he wished he had all those years ago. There would have been a lot less arguing if he had just shook Draco's hand that very first day at school. 

"Well... I..." Harry paused, trying to think of what to say. Draco sighed, his eyes moving away from Harry's face.

"I get it. They're your best friends, you don't want to ruin what you have with them, so you'd rather not tell them and make them mad." 

"Draco, that's not it. I want to be your friend, believe me, but--"

"No, that's exactly it!" Draco snapped. "They all look at me like I'm some kind of freak. You used to do that too until last night. So you know exactly what I'm talking about..." Draco trailed off, looking down the hall where his two friends had wondered off to. He dropped his head for a moment, before returning his eyes to Harry. "You know what, just forget about it."

"What?" 

"Just forget about it." Draco repeated. 

"Draco, what are you talking about? If I can figure it out with them then--"

"No, shut up! Just leave it! Don't bother!" Draco cried, turning on his heel to walk away. 

"Draco!"

"Shut up, Potter!" Draco returned, his tone sounded harsh and thick with the sound like he might start crying. Harry rose a brow, seeing the robed boy stroll his way silently down the hall, clenching his fists as he walked. Harry had known he was dramatic, but he didn't understand why he had to snap over one thing that happened. If he had just spoken to the others, maybe he could have made them understand. 

Then again, maybe Draco just didn't take rejection too well. 

"Well then, what was that all about?" Someone's voice said on the right side of Harry. 

"Yeah, that seemed strange." A similar voice spoke on his left side. The Boy Who Lived flinched, turning around to just realise it was those two ginger Weasley twins, his friends, Fred and George. 

"O-Oh... Hey guys... How long have you been there?" 

"Long enough to know that--" Fred started.

"--You were friends with Draco." George finished for him. Harry rose a brow, still surprised that they knew exactly how to finish each other sentences. As twins, they shared quite a special bond, quite an amazing one at that. Harry sometimes wished he could have had a sibling he could so easily get along with, rather than having to live with that spoilt brat, Dudley. 

"But seriously, that was so dramatic." George added. Fred nodded in agreement.

"Yeah. It was as if you two were a married couple!" 

"Oh, very funny." Harry rolled his eyes, a small grin on his face. "Guys, please promise me you won't tell Ron or Hermione about it."

"What about Ginny?" The twins said in sync. Harry cringed.

"Or Ginny." Harry added. The twins gasped.

"Keeping secrets from our sister, Harry? Really?" George joked. 

"Please? It's just, I know what they'll be like. You saw how Ron got earlier at the table when he had guessed I had become friends with Draco. They'll flip. And I need to somehow explain things to them without that happening. So, just keep it a secret from everyone until I tell them, okay?" 

Both twins shared a glance, as if they were debating whether or not to keep Harry and Draco's sudden friendship a secret. They even started mumbling and whispering, grinning to each other as they were conversing about the subject at hand. Harry rose his eyebrows, waiting for their answer and eventually they turned back to him, ready to reply.

"Alright, fine, Harry." Fred said.

"We'll keep your secret." George said.

"But you owe us one." They chorused. Harry smiled, a small chuckle coming from his lips as he felt grateful for their loyalty.

"Thanks you guys."