Chapter 1

*kais POV*
"Selene!" I yell as I run after her. "Come back...I can help you." I stop running as my face melts into a devastating expression. "I know what it's like..." I mumble to myself sadly. I think about everything that has happened. My mom, my dad, now selene's mom. Also the fact that I'll be emperor soon....
My mind slowly blanks as I look to the royal gardens to see selene sobbing on the ground by my mothers favorite tree. A gorgeous cherry blossom tree. "Selene." I say softly as I walk over to her. "Leave me alone." She whispers through her sobs. "I'm not leaving Selene." I sit by her and pull her into a hug, brushing my hand through her messy hair. "It's okay Selene. I know it's hard now but it will get better." Stars I hate seeing her sad. She's so easy to talk to and I've always loved her for that.
Selene and her mother have always been close family friends. Her mom and my mom were friends in school, well they trained together. When selene's mom, channary, found out she was pregnant and didn't know who the dad was she had no idea what to do. That's where my mom and I come in, we helped her with everything and anything. My mom was already empress so she offered channary a job to keep Selene safe. Channary and Selene became servants, though nobody really asked them for anything. Selene became my best friend. As I snap out of my thoughts I hear Selene slowly calming down. "Selene it's okay, I know I'm not the same but I'll always be here for you...stars even Torin will help. You don't have to feel alone." I say in a calming voice. "Thank you kaito, but I should get back to work" she says after a long silence. Soon after she gets up out of my hug. I get up after and give her one last hug. "Selene, your 10. You don't need to work all the time. And call me kai we already went over this." She backs out of my  embrace. "No kai, I have to do what my mother always said and work for what I want." She walks away without ever looking back and I feel a piece of my heart break and she leaves.

------------------------------------------------
Authors note:
Sorry about all the bad grammar and punctuation this is my first story and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Also characters are all the lovely marissa myer's characters.
If you are reading thank you! Let me know what you think I'd love feedback.