Chapter 26

*kais pov*

I couldn't believe it. Selene was back. My Selene. My best friend, the same girl I shared all my secrets with. The one I love.

I wrapped my arms around her as tight as I could, scared letting go would mean losing her again. I examined each of her features, my eyes catching on something unusual. Her hand, it was...well...metal. Something in me wanted to pull away and look away but that was only a small part of myself. The rest was telling me to kiss her perfect lips. Stars she's gorgeous.

"Selene, I thought I lost you."

"Yeah, well you didn't." She said in her adorably sarcastic tone. Stars I love that tone.

"What happened to you?"

"Long story-" she said. "Basically your fiancé is an evil demon who really, and I mean really, hates me. Oh yeah, and wants me dead." She said it as if she didn't have a care in the world. It kind of made me happy. She just seemed easy to talk to just like before.

"Why on earth, or Luna I guess, would she hate you?"

"I have no idea. But she tried to violently murder me so-" she looked back at the palace, thinking. "-I can't stay." She finally said. I could feel my heart breaking into millions of pieces. It was like getting a bullet to the heart, no pun intended.

"You can't?" I was on the verge of tears but I was hiding them well.

"No I'm sorry. I should go." She turned away.

Suddenly I was doing the only thing I could think of. My hands wrapped around her waist. Before I knew it she was facing me and my hands were holding her hips close to mine.

All I could hear was a small gasp from her and I could feel the heat crawling up to my ears. Everything felt still, like the world around us had stopped. I knew I couldn't let go, not just yet.

"K-Kai?" I suddenly heard my name come out of her shaky voice.

"Yes?" I said, sounding way too comfortable.

"What are you doing?"

"Um, trying to get you to stay. Is it working?"

"Well, sorta."

I got a sorta! That's all I need. I held her so close our bodies molded into one. Again all I heard from her was a gasp.

"Kai, I can't stay."

"Why not?"

"Because I'll die if I do." She looked straight into my eyes as she spoke, looking scared as if she was being killed right there.

Her words rang through my head, bringing back memories of the Doctor. I forced down a shiver.

"Right." That was all I said. I should've said more. I should've made her stay. I should've told her how I feel. But I didn't.

She pulled away and I could instantly feel the emptiness come back to me.

"I'm sorry. I really can't stay-" again, she paused to think. Then, all I could see was her eyes staring at my lips.

I could've jumped around right in that moment, I was the happiest I've been in years.

Suddenly I was snapped out of my thoughts with her lips crashing against mine. I pulled her closer to savor the moment but she pulled away.

She looked me straight in the eyes and whispered, "I love you." And ran off.

"I love you too." I whispered to myself, finally feeling whole again.

------------------------------------------------------
Hey y'all! I'm so sorry for being gone so long. School. Ugh. Anyways, I'm back and on summer break! I'll be updating as much as I can.
P.s. If you didn't understand the whole "no pun intended " thing it's because cinder was shot in the heart😊