Christmas Alone [Pt. 1]

WARNING! Fluff... ^_^

I was currently in the Slytherin commons, late at night in front of the fire with a book in hand. Sherlock Holmes, to be exact. My knees were pulled up to my chest as I sat on the single comfy chair. No one else was here, everyone's gone home for Christmas. My family don't exactly... Like me... So I thought it was best just to stay here.

Seeing as no one else was here in all of Slytherin, you thought you may as well wear whatever you please. You were currently in black mini shorts and a large grey jumper that reaches mid-thigh. It was actually your older brother's jumper, you would wear it whenever you missed him. Which was a lot.

You see, my parents aren't very fond of wizards and witches. That's why they don't like my dad's brother. My uncle. He's a wizard. Was a wizard... When I was eight, my brother ten, uncle told us the unexpected news that we were both wizards and started training us, awaiting our Hogwarts letters.
Needless to say, my brother got caught practising and got into an argument with my parents and angrily stepped in the middle of on coming traffic.

I sigh at the memory and continue reading as footsteps echo down the stairs, inaudible to me.

"Watcha readin'?" A voice snaps me out of my reading trance. I look up, my (e/c) eyes widening as I notice the voice belongs to the one and only-

"Draco?"

"Yes?" He inquires.

"W-what are you doing?" I manage to stammer out. Draco shrugs and plops down on a sofa opposite me.

"Well, now I'm sitting." I roll my eyes at his statement and continue to read my book, when I remember his first question.

"Sherlock Holmes." I reply, he looks at me confused then eventually catches on and nods his head while staring at the fire. "Why are you here?" I blurt out, not really knowing what I said until I said it. Draco glares at me and my breath hitches. Crap, I should be nicer to this guy. Draco was in fact my elder seeing as he was a fourth year and I'm a third. "U-umm... I mean, why aren't you with your family." Draco simply scoffs while rolling his eyes at the mention of his family and turns back to look at the fire. I decide to leave it alone, sensing it's a touchy topic for him.

"What about you?" He eventually asks. I just look at him and fake smile while shrugging.

"Family hates me." I mumble, deciding not to beat around the bush. The boy gives me a confused look.

"Why?" Once again, I shrug.

"Cos I'm a wizard..." I trail off. Draco's eyes widen but as he gazes down, his usual scowl returns.

"Oh..." Was all he said. "Who's jumper is that?" He questions. I look down to my brother's jumper and only then realising what I'm wearing and subconsciously pull the jumper down further. Draco notices this and shoots me a puzzled look. "You okay?" Suddenly anger boils inside me for no apparent reason.

"What's with all the bloody questions?" I fire out. "Stop acting like you care, I know you don't. I'm just a stupid third year and I should be bowing down to you or something since your my 'elder'" I was confused by my own anger but kept going. "You hate 'mud-bloods' and you don't even know my bloody name!" I can tell Draco is taken aback by my sudden outburst.

"I-I'm sorry." He starts. "What's your name?" I give him a puzzling look but then scoff and turn away.

"(Y/n)" You mutter.

"(Y/n)...?"

"(L/n)" You finish. Draco has a wide grin spread across his face.

"Well then, (y/f/n). I'm-"

"Draco Malfoy. Yes I know." Draco seems happy that he's popular throughout the school as he grins to himself.

"It's my brother's." I eventually blurt out, referring to his previous question. Draco genuinely smiles at me. What is happening right now? The only smile I've seen Draco make is either a smirk or fake.

"What happened to him?" Draco asks softly. There's already a lump in my throat but Draco just has to make it worse. I don't speak for a while as I just stare blankly at my ink filled pages full of mysteries yet to explore. I just don't have the energy to engulf myself into the book once again. I let out a light sob and tilt my head down, my features out of sight of the platinum haired boy in front of me.
I concentrate on the sound of my sobs that when I see a pale hand lift up my bookmark and place it inside my book, I get quite the shock. Once the bookmark is placed between the pages, Draco lifts to book out of my hands and shuts it while placing it on the table next to me. He holds out a hand which I hesitantly and shakily grab. Once I'm standing, Draco does something that completely takes me off guard. Completely surprises me...

He hugs me.

His arms snake around my waist, [HAHA GEDDIT? COS HE'S IN SLYTHERIN. Okay I'll stop now.] and I carefully wrap mine around his neck. Once I've done so, I bury my head in the crook of his neck and start crying uncontrollably. Draco slowly traces small circles around my back in a way of comfort, yet just his mere presence makes me feel at ease.

Draco's PoV

I know nothing about this girl, (y/f/n), even though she's opened up to me quite a lot. A lot even before I knew this girls name. As I hold her small figure in my arms, I realise how fragile she is, as if squeezing too hard would break her.
Break her more than she already is on the inside. Her memories of her older brother, I suggest, must have taken quite a toll on her life and I wish I could do something to help her. I want to help this fragile girl so much that makes me feel... different.
I don't know how, but I've never felt so normal before. For the first time in a while, I didn't feel the urge to make fun of someone to have a constant scowl on my face. (Y/n) is doing something to me...

And I am willing to know her more.