04 - That's What Friends Are For

"Hi." Louis mutters, shoving Harry's phone into his hand.

"Look, Louis, I'm sorry." Harry says, handing Louis his phone back.

"I don't want to hear it." Louis says, but pushes his way into Harry's house, anyway. Harry's confused as to why he came in. "I need to talk serious right now. Not about me at all. About you. And Elaine." Louis takes breaks between every few words for emphasis.

"Look, I understand you like me and all but—"

"Stop! This isn't about me." Louis has a pained expression on his face. "So, when I had your phone, someone called."

"What? Who?" Harry interrupts and Louis immediately throws him a death glare. He shuts up.

"As I was saying... That someone was Elaine's dad. He wants you to stop seeing her." Louis takes a deep breath and doesn't make eye contact with Harry. He looks down at his shoes.

"You're lying." is Harry's response.

"You really have a thing for accusing me of things, don't you?" Louis sounds reserved, a calm kind of angry.

"How did her dad find out?" Harry asks himself quietly.

"I don't know, but he said if I didn't tell you that he would; he also said it wouldn't be pretty." Louis pauses when he realizes Harry is staring at him. "Now, don't get me wrong. I'm still mad at you, I just don't want you to get hurt." Louis says. He regrets it immediately after.

Harry thinks for a moment before speaking. In reality, he'd rather be fighting, the screaming kind, than this. It's scary how he feels like he's under Louis' control, like he can't say anything wrong or a bomb will go off.

"I'm still going to see Elaine." Harry speaks slowly, as if to not trigger Louis.

"Okay." Louis says. He's done all he can, if Harry really wants to get hurt, then it's his fault. It doesn't matter how much Louis doesn't want it to happen, the real responsibility is upon Harry's own shoulders.

"Okay?" Harry asks, surprised.

"Yes." Louis says as he turns on his heal and exits. Harry gets a surge of déjà vu as he watches the other boy leave. This time, though, he isn't angry, he's disappointed. He tells himself he shouldn't be disappointed; he should be happy, right? The person whom he should be disgusted with just left on his own, without a fight. But here's the thing. Harry isn't disgusted with Louis. There is something there. Something that's reeling Harry in. Something that makes Harry begin to doubt who he is.

✖ ✖ ✖

"Pass me another shot?" Louis asks Zayn while they sit at the bar.

"No, mate, that's enough. Remember what happened last time?"

"Of course I do, fuckhead. That's why we're here."

It's 10 o'clock at night and Zayn insisted the two boys come here. Not to get Louis piss drunk, but to get him just drunk enough for him to talk. You see, Louis wouldn't tell Zayn what happened with Harry, so Zayn figured getting Louis a little drunk would get him to talk. So far, it hasn't been working.

"So, Lou... What happened with Harry today?" Zayn asks wearily, knowing the reply he'll get.

"Zayn. You've asked me this five times already. I'm not going to tell you." Louis basically kills the conversation, but Zayn sees it coming.

"Okay, well if we aren't going to talk about your lovelife," Louis winces at Zayn's choice of words. "then we'll talk about mine." Louis looks at Zayn expectantly. "My blind date was horrid. The girl, she had green hair, which I overlooked at first. When she opened her mouth she had her two front teeth missing.." Louis starts laughing. "I seriously don't know why Liam set me up with her. She had black circles around her eyes this big," Zayn holds his fists up to show size. "and she was literally wearing just a bra."