Different

Miyako Kiko glanced anxiously around Aoba Johsai High School. It was much larger than her middle school and she knew that she would get lost. She glanced at a large group of girls which were squealing. Looking closer she realised those squeals were because of a tall boy with brown hair who had walked past. Kiko looked enviously at the girls who were chatting happily with their friends. She had never been popular and she liked it that way. Yet sometimes she wished that she had a few more friends. She glanced at a crowd which had glanced nearby looking towards her direction probably at the large groups of girls. She turned to walk slowly back to her classroom when suddenly she felt herself get pushed and fall to the floor. When she looked up she noticed a small girl looking at her shuddering violently. Suddenly, she fell forward and started doing a rather dramatic dogeza.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" she cried. She could feel people's attention slowly turning towards her.

"Don't worry. I'm fine!" Kiko quickly replied trying to assure the girl who was gradually calming down. Picking up her bag, she walked on and into her classroom.

Kiko opened her bento. She smiled to herself as she found that Makoka had made her favourite rice and packed her fugashi. Kiko decided that she should go get herself something from the vending machine. As soon as she walked out of her classroom, she realised a girl was blocking her path. She had brown, shiny hair. Kiko could hear whispers around her.

"She's so pretty."

"Her hair is so silky."

"She is so tall."

Kiko looked at the girl surprised by this remark. The girl was not any taller than her and was most probably average height for her age.

The girl suddenly pushed a sheet of paper into her hands.

"Hi! I am Aiko Iwaizumi, sister of Seijoh High volleyball team's ace. Just wondering - would you like to be the boys' volleyball team manager?"

To be honest, Kiko had never been good at sports. She focused more on other subjects which did not involve so much moving around. But she was really interested in volleyball because she watched an anime about it.

"I'm not any good at sports."

"Oh, that doesn't matter."

Kiko thought for a moment.

"Sure. I'd be the manager."

Aiko beamed and almost seemed relieved.

"Thank you so much!" she exclaimed, "Just come after school tomorrow, okay. And don't worry the team is really nice. Thanks...erm...what's your name?"

"Miyako Kiko!"

"Thanks, Miyako-chan!" Aiko exclaimed as she enthusiastically shook hands with Kiko as she hurried back.

Kiko nodded and then left to the vending machine.

Standing in front of the gym entrance, Kiko breathed in. She had never been good at meeting new people. She put on the kindest looking face before walking in. She put on her warmest smile when she felt a ball fly towards her and slam into her face. She could almost see it in slow motion. Before, she knew it she was on the floor holding onto her burning cheek.

There were quick footsteps and Kiko looked up to see a tall boy with black hair stand worriedly over her.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Um...I think so."

He inspected her face and his eyes widened when he saw the large bruise which was now on Kiko's pale cheek.

"Turnip – I mean Kindaichi-kun. Can you take her to the medical room to get an ice pack?" the boy called. Kindaichi-kun immediately grinned and began to walk towards Kiko.

"No." said a voice. Kiko looked around. It had been a brown-haired boy who seemed much taller than the boy who was standing in front of her. She recognised him as the boy the girls had been squealing at on the school field.

"I'll take her there. It was my fault." Everybody stared at him.

The black-haired boy standing in front looked at him and then said,

"Okay then, Oikawa."

Everybody stared as Oikawa moved forward slowly and then said to Kiko.

"Follow me."

When the two were far from the gym, Oikawa mumbled,

"Sorry...I didn't mean too."

"Oh no! It doesn't matter. It was my fault. I should have been more careful when I came in." Kiko replied cheerfully. She did not want him to feel guilty or hurt. Kiko kept her eyes fixed towards the floor.

Oikawa beamed and suddenly felt himself blush. So many girls had flirted with him and even confessed to him yet he had not felt like this ever. He had noticed her immediately near the school entrance earlier. He heard people whisper around him.

"She is so beautiful!"

"So cute!"

He glared at the people who had just spoken. He was not sure why but he felt himself become jealous. He looked back at the girl. She was beautiful with her long black hair which fell elegantly to her waist and looked quite tall from a distance. Oikawa assumed she was a first year since he had never saw her around. Many more people began to take notice of the girl and stared at her. Oikawa felt a sudden hopelessness overwhelm him. It was strange. He knew most girls in the school had a crush on him and would easily accept if asked on a date yet this girl was different. Boys from the soccer team surrounded her yet she would glance at them and not do anything back. She was certainly not flirtatious. It was as if she did not know her own beauty. The fact that she was so oblivious was what made Oikawa think about her even more.

When his serve hit her, he had felt so guilty and worried. He expected the girl to be furious at him yet he had taken the blame on herself. Oikawa smiled even more. She certainly was different.