SIX

I woke up surrounded in the smell of weed, when I moved a bit and realized there were arms around me. I looked to my right and saw Matty, still sleeping.

I gently moved Matty's arms from my waist, and realized that I was only wearing my bra and underwear... oh dear. I looked around his room and eventually found my black clothes, slipping them on.

I turned to see Matty awake, his squinted eyes focused on me. "Really?" I laughed, and he chuckled, turning the other way. "We were so stoned we don't remember how we managed to fucking sleep together?"

Matty nodded, and I groaned, running my hand through my hair. "I'm not going to exactly say I'm mad about it." I turned to see that Matty was telling the truth, and I knew my answer. I sat back down on Matty's bed, my face in my hands.

Matty slinked his arms around my waist once again, laying his head on my shoulder. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "Although I don't remember, I can't exactly say you're too happy." I turned my head to see Matty looking sad, which is depressing. I sighed, and Matty kissed my cheek. "I'm sorry dear Sarilynn."

I smiled, my cheeks warming. "See," Matty smiled. "That's better."

I shook my head, and Matty squeezed me. "I'm sorry if your mad, but if your happy, then maybe we can do it again when we're sober."

I laughed, shaking my head at Matty, "I'm not mad, because I've never woken up after having sex the previous night to see someone like you. Someone whose happy and very kind."

"So sober?" Matty chuckled.

"Depends how you play your cards, Healy," I laughed. I turned and kissed Matty's nose before getting up. "I better head back, Leo's probably worrying."

"Oh Leo!" Matty laughed loudly. "I hope that we were loud last night and annoyed the shit out of them!"

I rolled my eyes at Matty. "I'll see you later."

"Definitely," Matty smiled.

I walked out of Matty's room and heard knocking at his door. Thinking it's Leo, I looked through the peep hole and saw a woman.

"Matty?" I turned around to see Matty zipping up his black jeans. "There's a lady at your door?"

"Mum," Matty's face went white.

Matty turned to me quickly, "Your my girlfriend, you have been for four months, we met at a bar where you spilled your drink on me and later you bought me another shirt and I got your number. We're madly in love."

I nodded, and Matty opened the door, "Mum!" I quickly rushed into Matty's room, making sure my hair was decent.

I walked out just as his mum walked in. "I wanted to make a surprise visit since I'm in town, and I thought you would like some breakfast!"

Matty's mum turned to me and her eyes widened. "Who's this, Matty?"

"That's my girlfriend, Sarilynn," Matty answered, walking beside his mum as she walked closer to me.

"Hello Sarilynn, I'm Matty's mum, Denise," Denise held out her hand.

I shook it smiling, "Lovely to meet you, Denise."

"Oh Matty! That painting is wonderful! Who painted that? Where did you get it, dear!" Denise exclaimed walking to the dining room painting.

"Oh, well Sarilynn painted it," Matty put his hand on the small of my back, leading me with him.

"Wow," Denise smiled. "You are a talented young lady, Sarilynn. I bet your family is very supportive and proud! How old are you, dear?"

"I'm twenty-two," I responded.

"Only a year younger than my Matty, how perfect," Denise smiled at us. "Shall we eat? I am glad I brought extras for Matty to have."

"Yes, me too," Matty chuckled, and we all walked into Matty's kitchen to grab food, then we walked back into the dining area.

"Tell me Sarilynn, what do you do for a living?" Denise questioned.

Matty turned to me, fear in his eyes, "I am currently a bartender, but I'm taking overnight college courses online because I'm studying to be a doctor."

Denise's eyes widened, "Wow! What kind of doctor my I ask?"

"A pediatrician," I answered.

"Oh children," Denise smiled. "Are you fond of kids?"

"Yes, I have younger siblings that I had to raise when I was a teenager, so I have always been pretty happy around kids," I nodded.

"How old are they?" Denise asked.

"My sister is 10, and then my brother is 13," I replied.

"Oh wow," Denise smiled. "Matty has a younger brother too. What about your parents, what do they do?"

I stopped in my tracks, not having the words. If only I had actually told Matty, then it all would've been easier right now. But I kept it to myself, and I always do...

I took a deep breath looking up at Denise. "My mother died of heart failure when I was 13, right after she had my sister. My dad passed when I was 18, a day after my secondary school graduation of cardiac arrest." The room fell silent, and I felt Matty's hand taking a hold of mine at my side.

"Oh dear," Denise sighed. "I'm so sorry, Sarilynn. May I say you are very strong for gone through so much."

I looked up at Denise and smiled, "Thank-you, Denise."

"On a happier note," Denise nodded. "How long have you and Matty been together?"

"Four months," Matty and I said in unison.

Denise laughed, nodding. "How did you meet?"

"I'll tell that one," Matty chuckled. "We met at a bar, and when we met I had somehow snuck up on Sarilynn. She freaked out and spilled her drink all over me. She apologized too much and insisted she owed me a new shirt." Matty laughed. "So we exchanged numbers, and a couple days later Sarilynn showed up at my doorstep with a new shirt and an apology letter."

Denise laughed, "I applaud your bravery, Matty, for going up and saying hi, and it's so funny that that was how it all started."