FORTY-SIX

I sat on the kitchen counter, drinking coffee with a wide smile on my face. Matty left early this morning for our anniversary plans, which I'm suspicious of.

I heard the front door open and I jumped off of the counter, sliding down to the hallway in my socks.

"Matty!" I shouted. Matty smiled at me, waving. "Matty guess what day it is?!"

"It's Friday..?" Matty chuckled.

"No! I graduate today! Well I don't actually go to a ceremony... but they send my certificate! I can get a job!" I laughed.

Matty smiled at me, wrapping his arms around my waist and hugging me. "I'm proud of you," Matty kissed my cheek. "You accomplished more than I have."

"Bullshit!" I smiled, "You're in a famous band, you're way cooler than me."

"Haha," Matty messed with my hair. "I smell coffee."

"Yes, you do," I laughed, grabbing Matty's hand.

We walked into the kitchen and began drinking coffee together and talking. "Do you want to know why I'm planning so much for our one year anniversary?" Matty questioned.

"Sure," I shrugged.

"We're going on a trip," Matty stated.

"Matty! I told you not to go over the top!" I exclaimed.

"I'm not! We're going to-" Matty was interrupted when my phone began ringing. I groaned as I picked it up.

"SUZANNE'S IN LABOR! GET TO THE HOSPITAL NOW, SARI!" Genesis yelled.

"Shit!" I grabbed Matty's hand, dragging him out of the house.

« ‹ › »

Hours passed by slowly, and the stress piled on. The baby, which Uncle Ed informed me is named Winona, is going to be born premature. Aunt Suzanne is more likely to suffer complications, as well.

Matty held my hand the entire time as we sat in the waiting room. Uncle Ed told us about fifteen minutes ago that they were going in for an emergency c-section. Both Gen and Maves sat beside me, terrified.

I attempted to comfort them, but we all didn't know what was next. Matty was even nervous, holding onto my hand tightly.

Then the doctor walked out, his face showing no emotions. He walked straight over to us, holding a clipboard.

"Family of Suzanne Jone?" He questioned, we all nodded. "I'm Doctor Enollin."

"Is Aunt Suzanne okay?" Genesis breathed out.

"Well," Doctor Enollin sighed, I felt my stomach drop. "The baby was born perfect. Although she is premature she is a healthy weight and has nothing wrong... Suzanne though, she had a rough birth." I shook my head in denial.

"She did survive, she will be in the hospital for many weeks. Suzanne will not recover easily. The baby must stay here as well, to ensure the bond," He explained. "Any questions?"

"Where will we stay?" Maverick turned to me, tears in his eyes.

"Your uncle, Edward, he won't stay here. You may stay with him," The doctor assured.

"No," I shook my head. "He's already under too much stress... You guys will have to stay with us." I turned to Matty and he nodded, a faint smile on his lips.

"Sarilynn, what is Aunt Suzanne isn't okay?" Genesis sniffled.

"You guys will always be okay," I smiled. "I'll make sure of it."

We left the hospital shortly after. Aunt Suzanne won't be allowed guests until next week. Matty drove us to Uncle Ed's house to get the kids everything they need.

"I'll stay in the car," Matty stated.

"Okay," I nodded. "We'll hurry."

"Don't stress it," Matty smiled. "I love you, Sarilynn."

"Love you too," I nodded.

I followed Genesis into her room, where she packed all of her things. Luckily, school ended a couple of days ago for them.

Genesis packed everything she needed for a while, and I told her we could come back if she needed more. Genesis grabbed a small box under her bed with a note attached to the top.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Mummy left it for me... She told me that if I ever needed her, to open it; that's at least what the letter says," Genesis sighed. "I can bring it, right?"

"Of course," I nodded. Maverick walked up to the doorway of Gen's room, sighing.

"Let's go... I don't want to be here right now," Maverick mumbled. I walked over to Maverick, putting my arm around his shoulders.

"It's going to be alright, Maverick," I assured.

"Keep saying that. It's not true," Maverick grumbled, rushing down the stairs. "I'll be in the car!"

- Matty's POV -

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted when I heard the back open. I turned to only see Maverick, his face red.

Maverick got in the backseat and looked out of the window. "Hey Maverick," I hesitated.

"Matty, I don't want to talk. I will never be okay again. Aunt Suzanne won't be here to make me sandwiches or watch cartoons with me. Uncle Ed will never play video games with me, or give me ice cream before dinner. I've lost everything!" Maverick cried out.

"Hey," I turned to him. "Who says no one else will do that with you? I can make incredible sandwiches. I might suck at video games, but I'll try. I know for a fact we'll all have ice cream for dinner."

Maverick turned to me with tears rolling down his cheeks. "Things are going to be different," I nodded. "But nothing will happen to change your favorite things."

Maverick nodded, "I'm scared."

I sighed, "I was too. When my nana passed away, I felt just like how you do."

"Really?" Maverick sniffled.

"No, not at all. I know Sarilynn feels exactly the same, and your sister probably does too," I smiled faintly. "I feel that way too, Maverick."

Maverick nodded, and we turned to see Sarilynn and Genesis locking the front door. They then turned to see us. I watched Sarilynn calm down as she saw that I was clearly trying to comfort Maverick.

Sarilynn opened the back of the car, loading Gen's things in the car. Once Sarilynn sat beside me, she took a deep breath. "Okay," she closed her eyes.