TWENTY-NINE

I woke up to Matty looking into my closet. I squinted my eyes open as he grumbled something to himself. Matty turned to me and smiled.

"My mum is inviting over family for Christmas dinner, we don't exchange gifts or anything, but my family is there. She wants you to come," Matty explained.

"Okay," I yawned. "What time do we need to be there?"

"Twelve," Matty answered. "It's ten, get up."

I sat up and Matty moved beside my closet. "Christmas sweater and black jeans or dress?" Matty asked. "Basically the only thing Mum allows."

"Jeans," I answered, and Matty nodded.

I sat up and Matty sat beside me. "She really likes you."

I nodded, looking down at my hands. "Of course she thinks we've been together for a while now, but I'll tell her in private that we've only been together for four almost five months," Matty chuckled.

"I think it's better if she thought you brought me on tour if we were dating for almost a year... but she deserves to know," I smiled.

"Exactly," Matty kissed my cheek. "Shower, you smell like a mix between me and weed."

"You mean plainly you?" I smirked.

"Basically," Matty laughed. "I'll also be showering in my apartment, come by when you're ready."

"Okay," I nodded.

Matty messed with my hair before walking out of my room and then the apartment. I got up, heading to the shower.

« ‹ › »

I knocked at Matty's door, standing in one of my Christmas sweaters, the one Matty decided was Denise-worthy. The cold air swept my hair off my shoulders, making my neck cold.

Matty opened the door, his sweater in his hands. Matty moved aside as I walked in. Matty slipped his sweater over his head and then smiled at me.

"Are you wearing the ring?" Matty asked.

"Yeah," I smiled, looking at my feet.

"Come on, let me see, love," Matty chucked, and I held out my hand.

Matty's large hands softly held mine, looking at the gold ring. I wasn't told very much history on it, but it was worn for a very long time in a very successful relationship.

"It's funny how it fit you perfectly, I believe it's a sign," Matty stated.

"Of what?"

"That you're the girl my nana would love," Matty pulled my arm closer, kissing my lips. "Wouldn't you agree?"

"Healy," I laughed. "You always put me in uncomfortable situations, cute or not."

"You never answered my question," Matty laughed.

"Yes, I would have to agree," I smiled.

"Good, because Mum is going to learn today who I gave the ring to," Matty began holding my hand. "Let's go."

« ‹ › »

Matty held my hand tightly as he walked right into Denise's house. All of his relatives turned to us and erupted in cheers. "Matty!"

Matty was swarmed with smiling faces, hugging him tightly. I backed away from the crowd, feeling awkward and extremely nervous.

"Hey."

I turned to see a young face, a face almost identical to Matty's. I felt myself smiling, knowing this is his little brother.

"You must be Sarilynn, correct?" He asked.

"Yes," I nodded.

"I'm Louis," he held out his hand. "Matty's brother if you couldn't tell."

"I could tell," I laughed, and his cheeks brightened.

"Sarilynn!" Denise rushed over. "Hello dear! Matty told me you would be attending! How sweet of you to take time out of your busy day!"

"It's not that big of a deal," I smiled. "I'm happy to be able to meet everyone."

"God, he really did pick a nice one," Denise smiled. "Come on dear, I need your advice."

Denise led me into the kitchen, where the smell of food was very strong and appealing. I felt my heart pounding at the thought of what this advice may be.

Denise turned to me with a wide smile, "I feel as you know Matty more than me. I wanted to ask you if you thought he would-"

"Mum?"

Denise and I turned and saw Matty peeking in, his lips formed a smile when he saw me. "You stole my girlfriend," Matty chuckled.

"Yes I did," Denise laughed. "Speaking of which! Come here Matty!"

Matty walked up to me, placing his hand on the small of my back.

"Where is Nana's ring that you wanted?" Denise smiled faintly.

Matty turned to me, and I hesitantly lifted my hand up to Denise's view. Her eyes lit up at the sight.

"Oh Sarilynn!" She exclaimed. "It looks so lovely on you! I didn't expect it to fit so well! Why it is so beautiful on you, dear!"

"Thank-you," I smiled, feeling my cheeks reddening.

Denise covered her mouth with her hand, turning to Matty with tears in her eyes. "Nana would be so proud of you, and Sarilynn."

"Don't make me sad," Matty laughed, and Denise quickly hugged him.

"Oh come here!" Denise pulled me into the hug. "You're a part of this family now, Sarilynn."

Once we all parted Denise handed Matty and I plates to pile with delicious food.

"You two first," she smiled.

Matty and I walked over to the beginning of the food, piling our plates with the large variety. Once we began picking food, the rest of Matty's family found out and also began to.

Matty led me to the end of the table, setting his plate down. Matty leaned over to me, placing his hand on my waist. "Don't be afraid of my uncle," Matty whispered, backing away and kissing my cheek.

We both sat down, and soon a large man walked over and sat right beside me.

"Hello!" He smiled. "I'm Matty's uncle! You must be Sarilynn. You know, word spreads pretty quickly in the family!"

"It does, and why aren't you eating?" Matty chimed in, using his fork to point at the empty space of the table where his uncle sits.

"Oh I just wanted to say hi to your little girlfriend before everyone else bombarded her with questions," he chuckled. "I'll go get my food now before your mum steals all of the cranberry sauce... Denise!"