FIFTY

Matty smiled at me as we walked back to our hotel room. The dining experience was amazing. Their food was extremely good, and hands down included the best wine I've ever tasted. Matty's hand stayed at the small of my back as we walked, making small talk.

"That was very good," Matty chuckled. "If we ever come back we have to go there."

"Agreed," I smiled. "This has been a nice year with you."

"It's been an even nicer year with you for me," Matty chuckled. "You've changed me for the better, and I've changed you. This has been the best year of my life; I met you, and the boys and I have finally accomplished our dreams."

"I'm proud of your for being brave. I never would have been able to do that," I smiled. "You guys are insanely talented, and I'm not just saying that because I'm dating you."

"I know," Matty smiled at me. "I love you, Sarilynn Bethany Jone."

"I love you," I repeated, Matty's arm around my waist as I leaned on him. "You've helped me through so much... Whenever I'm sad you make me happy again. When I don't feel well you cheer me up. You bring me the best coffee I've ever had... You're the best."

"That whole speech should be reversed," Matty smiled. "You're actually the best, and yeah..."

We walked into the hotel lobby, the hotel employees greeting us with wide smiles. Matty simply waved to them as we walked into the empty elevator.

Once the doors closed I turned to Matty with a sigh, "Can I borrow your shirt?"

"Of course, baby," Matty chuckled. "Are you tired?"

"Yes," I nodded. "But I would like a bath before I go to bed. The bathtub is big enough for the both of us if you'd like to join?"

"Most definitely," Matty nodded. "I'll fix it up."

Once we were in our hotel room, Matty walked into the bathroom. I sat on our bed, putting my hair up. In the mirror I saw my reflection...

One year. Over the span of only a year I've grown as a person. Now I'm not afraid of commitment... or at least when it comes to Matty. I'm no longer afraid of my past nor future, and I'm happier than I've ever been.

I smiled at the person in front of me, taking off my shoes. I walked up to the vanity, taking off my earrings and many necklace. I looked down at the ring Matty gifted me many months ago, smiling. I carefully slid the gold off of my finger, setting it down.

"Babe?"

I turned to see Matty peeking out of the bathroom door. He smiled faintly at me, making my stomach swirl.

His chocolate curls fell in front of his face. His smile wasn't slurred. He looked perfect. He looked like the man I met a year ago, the grumpy and glaring Matty. The "Where'd you find that?!" Matty. The secretly loving Matty.

"The bath's ready, whenever you want to come in here you can," Matty smiled. "I love you."

I smiled at his perfection, "I love you... I'll be in there in a minute." Matty nodded, going back into the bathroom.

I walked back to the bed, sitting down. The plain white comforter sinking in. I stared at the suitcase full of Matty's valuables, I then noticed the black notebook poking out. The black notebook that started it all...

I smiled, letting out a quiet chuckle. I laid back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. The old popcorn style bringing a smile to my face, reminding me of my old apartment, and the popcorn ceiling...

« ‹ › »

The popcorn ceiling...

I sat up and looked around. Where am I? I looked ahead of me and saw the shelf full of vinyls... I looked to the right and saw my bathroom... To the left was my guitar...

I'm in my apartment...

"What?" I spoke aloud. I stood up and looked in the bathroom mirror. I pinched myself in disbelief. "What is happening?"

I rushed out of my room and saw that Leo's door was closed, littering the living room was beer bottles. I covered my mouth, not believing the situation in front of me.

"It was all a dream," I mumbled. I ran my hand through my hair as I made my way into the kitchen. I began to make myself a cup of coffee.

I sat on the couch, taking it all in...

Everything, didn't happen. Matty and I didn't happen. I don't have another cousin. Genesis never went into cardiac arrest. Leo never broke up with Gracie... I never met Alise!

I heard a loud boom outside, and I walked over to the sliding glass windows. I moved the curtains aside slowly, looking down at the parking lot of the apartment I never left.

A moving truck.

"This isn't happening," I breathed out. I heard a door open and I turned to see Leo walking out of his room.

"What's not happening?" Leo yawned.

"I had a crazy dream," I turned to him. "You're going to think I'm insane."

"What?"

I rushed to the front window, opening it. I saw Matty walking up the stairs!

He carried a glare, and a glum face. His eyebrows furrowed, he seemed to be a little pissed off. I bit my lip as he glanced in my direction.

The box he carried was labeled. As he came closer I read the messy sharpie label, Matty's fun. I looked up at Matty and he stared at me as he continued walking.

Once he walked up the stairs to floor three, I turned to Leo in shock. "Leo, you won't believe this!" I shouted. "Leo I don't know what's happening!"

"I don't know what's happening to you either," Leo chuckled.

I rushed outside of my apartment right as Matty began walking down the stairs. He stopped at the last one, his pouty lips turning to a small smile.

"Do I know you? You look oddly familiar," Matty smiled. "Sarilynn?"

I felt my heart pounding out of my chest. "Matty," I laughed. "You didn't..."

"Are you thinking about what I'm thinking?" Matty chuckled.

"I don't know, and I don't think I quite want to," I smiled. "It's nice seeing you again."

"Oh, it's lovely seeing you," Matty smiled. He turned and his eyebrows furrowed once again. I turned to see what he was looking at, and saw it. His song book. I walked over and picked it up, smiling as I turned back to him.

"Now I know where you found it," Matty smiled at me.

"I'm not a thief," I handed him the notebook. "But I do think we should catch up..."

Matty looked down at the notebook, slapping it on his hand. "Agreed."