THIRTY-ONE

Besides the fact that both Alisa and Leo have basically abandoned me for each other, Christmas started out great. I woke up in my bed to the sound of someone banging on the front door.

I slowly got up, holding a pillow as I did so. I walked to the door and opened it to see Matty smiling wide.

"Good morning," Matty smiled. I groaned in response, walking back into my bedroom.

I face planted onto my bed, and Matty laughed at me. "No 'Merry Christmas,' I'm hearing," Matty laid down beside me.

"Merry Christmas," I mumbled. Matty laughed, kissing my cheek. "I love you."

Matty reached for my hand, looking at his Nana's ring. "You know the box my brother dropped off?" Matty asked.

"Yeah," I replied.

"It had things in it she wanted me to give to my future wife," Matty stated.

I was surprised with the word, wife. I never thought of the word being associated with me. But Matty smiled at me, the word also stuck on his lips.

"And I put all of it together for you," Matty continued. "It's in my apartment."

"Matty-"

"No, I'm not proposing," Matty chuckled. "Not at all."

I sighed out of relief, and Matty began laughing. I would not be opposed to marrying Matty, but we're both so young... Matty is everything I want, and one day I would like to marry him. But that day is no time soon.

I got up, reaching under my bed for Matty's present. "Sarilynn," Matty sighed.

"Hush," I smiled, pulling out a box. "Just open it."

I placed the box in front of Matty, and he looked at me with a small smile. "And what might this be?"

"Your Christmas present, dumbass," I replied. "Now open it before I start overthinking."

Matty nodded, taking the top off of the box. His eyes widened immediately.

"Sarilynn!" Matty exclaimed. "Y- you did this? How long did this take?"

Matty picked up the small canvas, showing my painting of Matty and the boys in the background. The painting is based off of a picture that I took on the tour bus.

"Sarilynn!" Matty laughed. "Holy shit!"

"Okay now you're just overreacting," I smiled.

"No the fuck I'm not!" Matty laughed. "Holy shit, babe!"

I shook my head at Matty, smiling at his reaction.

« ‹ › »

When Matty and I were walking up to his apartment, my phone began to ring. I read the caller ID, and saw that it was Uncle Ed.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Sari! It's Maverick! Come to the hospital! Now! It's Genesis!" Maverick yelled. "She, she's not doing well! Hurry please! I'm here alone!"

I rushed downstairs, not saying anything to Matty.

"Maverick," I began. "Listen to me, okay? I want you to stay there! Is she with you?"

"No, she was wheeled away," Maverick cried. "Uncle Ed wanted me to take his phone so I did and-"

"Is he coming?" I ran to my car.

"Yeah, h- he should be here any moment," Maverick sobbed.

"Okay," I felt tears in my eyes. "Stay there, Maves. I'll be there soon."

I went to unlock the car door and Matty grabbed my keys.

"I'm driving, you can't," Matty stated.

I rushed to the passenger side of my car, and Matty quickly turned on the car. "Where are we going?" Matty asked.

"The hospital," I cried.

Matty's face froze at the sound of the word. I could tell he knew what was happening.

"Fucking go!" I shouted.

Matty quickly began driving.

Soon after speeding through every red light, we reached the hospital. Matty was pulling up and there was a long line of cars.

I opened my car door, running out. "Sarilynn!" Matty screamed after me.

I ran into the hospital, looking around. I felt a tight hug on my waist, and I saw Maverick hugging me.

"She's in surgery," Maverick muffled, backing up from me. "She went into cardiac arrest... like Dad."

I felt the ground crumbling beneath me, and soon I felt Matty's familiar arm wrap around my waist to help.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," Matty assured. "Sarilynn."

"No, no, no, no, no," I repeated. "She can't, she's too young."

"Sarilynn," Matty repeated.

"She can't die," I cried out. "My little sister can not die!"

"Sarilynn," Matty wrapped his arms around me tightly, hugging me. "Shh, she's going to end fine."

"No she isn't," I weeped. "I can't lose another family member. I can't lose my sister. I was supposed to take care of her."

"Sarilynn," Matty repeated. "Breathe."

« ‹ › »

Matty rocked me on a uncomfortable bench for at least three hours. I held onto his shirt tightly the whole time, unable to comprehend what was happening.

When the doctor came out of the surgery room, my mind went blank with all of the terrible things that could happen. I blanked out so much I didn't noticed the cries of relief, or the tight hug Maverick held me in.

When I came to my senses, Maverick had to explain everything to me.

"She did great," Maverick sniffled. "She is breathing and her heart is strong. They will have to run tests on her in a little bit, but she's okay."

I pulled Maverick into a tight hug, allowing him to cry into my shirt as I cried onto his.

"You guys are going to move in with me," I stated. "I don't know when, I don't know how... but you will." Maverick smiled, nodding.

"I can't let you guys live with Aunt Suzanne and Uncle Ed. I know they are your lawful guardians, but I'll change that. I want to make sure I take care of you guys," I sighed. "I love you Maverick."

"I love you too, Sari," Maverick chuckled.

After Maverick and I stopped hugging, Aunt Suzanne turned to us. "You saved her, Maves. If she got here any later she wouldn't have survived," Aunt Suzanne wiped a tear off her cheek.

"Really?" Maverick smiled.

"Really," Uncle Ed chuckled.

Next thing I knew, Uncle Ed walked outside with Matty to talk to him.

"You have a good one there," Aunt Suzanne smiled at me.