Six

Six

It was a sweltering Monday morning, the clouds in the sky weren't of any service to shield the sun's intense wrath. It was just a little after noon and the UCLA campus was already in it's usual uproarious state. It was swarming with lively young adults, each of them partaking in whatever their schedules called them to do at that moment in time.

Promise was amidst the student body, exiting her last class on that particular day. It was a math course that felt like it nearly drained her brain of it's normal ability to function. She shielded her blue orbs away from the sun's glare as she stood on the steps of the Engineering, Mathematics, and Computer Science building.

"Math was just too much today."Nikita groaned, finally being able to join her. Promise gradually began to saunter down the stairs. "Right, I could barely keep up. Baby boy had me up for most of last night since he's suddenly caught this little cold."She was attempting to walk while putting away her huge math binder.

Nikita grabbed a hold of her arm,"Aw, is my baby really sick?"

She chuckled while nodding her head. Her friend's dramatic personality always kept her laughing even in some of the most serious situations. "Yeah, my poor baby. He barely slept any."She said prior to stopping and inspecting the time on her watch. Twelve fifteen flickered back at her.

Promise sighed at the sudden realization that she had to get to work in a half hour. She'd just gotten a job at the New Haven Recreation Center. The opportunity surfaced at the right time, especially while having gotten everything settled with her son. It also came as a sign of relief when she found out they offered free daycare and preschool to their employees. It was convenient and all the more reason for her to accept the job.

"Gotta be somewhere?"

"Yeah, to work. I'm so glad that I won't have to worry about Zay on weekdays now. He goes there in the morning before I go to class, and then when I'm done with school I go there to work too."

"That's good. I'm glad you got the opportunity. Lord knows what we would've had to deal with if you didn't find a job like that."Nikita smiled at her friend's benefit. Promise grinned as a sign of agreement and the fact that she thought of her son as her own.

"Anyways, I'm going to let you be on your way. I have some homework to catch up on."Nikita reached out towards her for a side hug. "Alright see you later bestie."She conjectured, squeezing her small frame a little tighter. "You know it! Don't forget that we have some major catching up to do later. I saw you and baby daddy Saturday, boo. Don't think I didn't see the way you went and preyed on that man!"She implied excitedly.

Promise couldn't help the hearty laughter that sprang from her mouth. She knew Nikita wasn't going to let her live that one down for awhile. "How did you even see that? It was pitch black by that time." She furrowed her eyebrows and folded her arms across her chest. There was an unusual glint of mischievousness in her eyes at the thought of provoking Zayne the way she did that night.

He deserved it.

Nikita began to tread away backwards, her brown irises dancing between Promise and trying to watch for any students walking unknowingly in her path, "Just know that I know ma'am."She wagged her finger at her while laughing. Promise shrugged her shoulders with the same never ending smile on her face. It amused her that Nikita hadn't mentioned it even after almost two days passing by.