Twenty-Five

Twenty-Five

Zayne's green irises focused in on the light blue sky as he leaned his against the door of his car. The wind was light and delicate on that particular day, whisking quietly against his face. He barely shivered as his hands found their way in the confinement of the pockets to his loose black sweatpants. His visage was hard as he finally dared his eyes to scrutinize the familiar house before him. At last, he'd made it around to his dad's home. He had grown tired of the constant calls and messages of Rick nearly pleading with him to make time for him.

His eyes roamed the spacious abode before him. The large opened windows gave a view of the homely looking persona exuding from the home. It was one of those houses that lacked privacy with its pricey radiance showcasing each and every person that came into it. He then pushed his feet across the graying gravel. He had already seen his father peering at him through the seemingly large mirror of the window that made up the front entrance. He ambled up the few steps that made up the vast porch.

Rick allowed him to enter as he stepped aside. He then quickly turned on the balls of his feet and began sauntering towards what he'd made the study. Zayne sighed quietly as he closed the door behind him. He just knew it was going to be something although his father hadn't said a word yet. He traipsed not too far behind him, his eyes stretching over the expensive paintings aligning the slender hallway. He knew all too well what his father wanted to "talk" about; his life. His life that had quickly become a rapture of women. It had spun out of control once more and he had no intentions of stopping it anytime soon.

"Have a seat son," Rick said, his voice echoing throughout the room. Zayne hadn't realized he'd stopped just short of the spacious study area. He suddenly shifted his orbs over towards his father who had already seated himself in one of the black square modern seats. He opted for the seat directly across from his father with a small glass table separating the two. He leaned back into his seat with his legs slightly parted. His eyes never met his dad's because he had them focused on the outside scenery. He stared out at the tall palm trees as the wind silently blew them back and forth. "You've finally made time out of your busy schedule, I see," Rick said in a teasing manner.

Zayne shrugged wordlessly. He didn't have that much to say to him at the moment but figured he would at least hear him out. It seemed to be important to him and he did owe him that much. "If you want to call it that fine. What did you want to talk about old man?"He queried, swiftly shifting his eyes towards him, awaiting his answer. "About your mother but not just her. About us as a family period." He appeared to be nervous as he shifted in his seat with his hands clasped together tightly. Zayne had to stop himself from rolling his eyes. Now he wanted to have a heart to heart. "You're about how many years too late?" He countered unexpectedly. He hadn't meant to say that out loud. It was supposed to be a thought – a quiet unspoken thought. "I mean...sorry. Didn't mean to say that."He muttered lowly.

"But you said it, didn't you?"

"Evidently."

"Then you meant it."

Zayne nodded his head as he slid his opened palms over the knees of his pants. The quietude in the room seemed to engulf them whole as neither of them made a move to say another word. He searched the space with his eyes inaudibly. He made note of the many opened books scattered around aimlessly. He remembered many times where he'd come into that very room to discuss matters with his father in the past. They had never crossed the line of talking so much about his so-called mother after Rick told him that she didn't desire to be in his life when he had been only thirteen. He reminisced on being sent into that room to study, to inform his father of adolescent hardships, and even just to solely bond. It had been more than just a study, but every bit of their family room too."I think I should tell you about how I tried to keep your mother with us...the night before she left..."Rick implied.