Twenty-Two

Twenty-Two

Promise exhaled softly as her green-blue irises focused on the soft darkened curls atop Zayne's head. She allowed her fingers to gently sweep through his scalp, silently hoping that it was bringing him some form of comfort. His light labored breaths tickled her stomach as he lay on top of her, his arms wrapped around her tiny waist. She continued to stroke his head while her eyes slid over the bridge of his nose and lightly freckled cheeks. They'd been laying there for about an hour or so, the quietude very much needed at that point.

She could sense the way that the sudden visitation of Zayne's mother had taken quite a toll on him. He didn't seem like himself as he laid there trying to stifle his obvious discomfort at displaying his emotions to her. Ever so often he would squeeze both sides of her frame, pulling her just a bit closer. He was so open, but it was no secret that he hated that he couldn't help himself. She wanted to cheer him up. She wanted to show him that he was of value, that he was cared about; that he was loved.

She loved him.

One day she would let him know, but for now, she would go on concealing it. She figured that it wasn't the right time for fear that he would completely close himself off to her. She lightly grabbed the back of his head, nearly forcing him to move his body further up her frame. "You're not weak Zayne,"She spoke quietly. His green orbs fluttered open at her words. He arched an eyebrow, probably wondering how she could easily detect what he was thinking. He hadn't said a word since they'd been laying there. She curled her fingers around his jawline, her thumb gently caressing his cheek. She searched his eyes, finding nothing but sadness and disappointment.

Zayne licked his lips, his eyes gliding over her face,"Well, how come I feel that way?" He pressed his palms flat into the bed trying to free himself from their current position. She swiftly wrapped her legs around his waist, confining him there. She smirked as his body gently collided with hers once more. She found that she actually enjoyed the weight of him being pressed up against her. He grunted as his bottom lip folded into his mouth. "Trying to leave me?" She queried.

She traced his full lips with her fingertips. He then leaned downwards and lay his head into the crook of her neck. She sighed as she felt his light breaths, the action almost being a sense of comfort to her. "No," He feathered kissed the side of her neck. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him that much closer. His hands found a home around her waist, his way of silently succumbing to her. She unraveled her legs from his waist while her hands never faltered.

They laid there, holding one another – trapped in an evident lovers' embrace. "How come I feel that way?"He questioned again. Promise kissed the side of his face and he tensed up. She nearly grinned at that, figuring that her affection towards him was still fairly new. He quickly relaxed seconds later. "Because you're allowing yourself to Zay. Your feelings towards your mother are making you doubt yourself," She replied. He pulled his face from the home that he'd made and peered into her eyes.

"You have no reason to doubt yourself babe."She informed him as he still lay staring into her eyes. She wanted him to know just how amazing he'd been. She wanted to make known to him the man that she and her son had the pleasure of watching him transform into. His gaze finally faltered towards her lips. "I can't help but to. I just, I don't..."He mumbled almost inaudibly. She began to shake her head. It was almost unreal at the way he was looking at himself now, but she couldn't really blame him.

Zayne began to peel her fingers away from their previous position. She allowed him to that time, although she really didn't want to let him go. His back hit the bed with a soft thud, shifting the bed underneath them. He laid beside her with his left arm tucked behind his head and his right at his side. She found herself staring at the ceiling as a comfortable silence seemed to envelop them. In what felt like a mere second, his fingers danced aimlessly up and down her forearm. She averted her gaze to him. She caught sight of his handsome visage as he mindlessly gnawed at his bottom lip again. He appeared to be deep in thought at the moment.