Seventeen

Seventeen

Beach camping. That was the goal for the day. It was a spur of the moment type of thing and everyone who was anybody amongst Promise's circle of friends were attending that evening. It had been decided that since they'd come upon a couple of free days that they would all rather spend them with one another.

The sky was an array of oranges and reds with a hint of a light purple tone combined. The sun had already begun it's retreating stroll and the wind was light – humming ever so faintly. The deep waves from the water were already crashing against the shoreline, almost sounding thunderous because of the impact.

Promise's wild ribbons of golden hair rose and fell as she sat perched upon a large boulder. Her legs were dangling just above the water so she would catch a light backlash of the water's roaring dance. It overlooked the small vacant beach, giving her a view of her small group of friends. She pried her gaze away from their visible enjoyment and focused them back on the book that lay in her lap. She scanned the pages, smiling as she did so. It had all of her attention that evening since everyone else was busy with each other.

Her ears perked up at what sounded like obvious footsteps of someone attempting to climb one of the huge rocks that she was sitting among. "Girl,"Nikita panted, her breath coming out in quick spurts. Promise giggled a little turning her gaze away from her book to look over her shoulder. Nikita's sienna hued face housed a grimace as she nearly teetered over trying to reach her friend. "Why in the everlasting hell are you sitting all the way over here? You could've just sat on a blanket on the beach like a normal person."She fussed, still climbing over a rock. She finally reached Promise and seated herself next to her. She pulled her knees up to her chest while she peered over the beach.

"It's nice here, and plus y'all were too busy doing your own thing."

"Well, it's not like you couldn't come join us Ms. Anti-social. You have two men here for you and you're nose deep in a book. Child, I wish I would be."

Promise laughed while shaking her head. She closed her book and sat it on the side of her. She knew it was only right she gave her best friend her undivided attention for that moment. Lately, it was starting to feel like school and guys were getting in the way of their friendship. "Their both not here for me. I invited Ryan, and well, Zayne was coming anyway. Him and Major are the ones that through it all together."She replied, snaking her fingers through her unruly hair. Nikita chuckled and grabbed her friend's arm. Promise diverted her gaze over towards her with a furrowed eyebrow. "I've been meaning to ask you...what are you doing lately?"Nikita queried. The questioning look in Promise's eyes grew as she tried to make sense of what her friend was asking.

"What do you mean?"

"For the most part, with Zayne...and then there's Ryan."

Promise chortled again, waving her hand in a dismissing like manner. She was in no way, shape, or form trying to discuss those two. She came to the beach to relax and enjoy the long weekend. "I know you're not talking. You've completely deserted me for Major." She shot back. She looked Nikita over with a teasing grin gracing her lips. Nikita shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. "Me and Major are cool. He's my honorary fuck buddy. I'm not even going to lie to you. We get it in and he goes on his merry little way."She admitted. Promise couldn't suppress her laughter. She really wasn't sure why that surprised her because it shouldn't. Although her friend was trying to downplay what was happening between them, their blossoming 'whatever-it-was' was starting to become more obvious.

"So that's it?"

"Yeah, exactly. I mean the fact that we can chill is just a plus."

Promise scoffed while rolling her eyes,"You're a terrible liar, heffa. You and Major are more than that."