Twenty-Six

Twenty-Six

Campus was lively that afternoon with its array of festivities taking place courtesy of an annual Greek picnic. The sounds of fraternities and sororities showcasing their infamous styles of step were prominent. Students swarmed the vicinity from every angle just to capture a glimpse of their Greek corporation of choice. It was hot yet, it didn't seem to stop the young adults from nearly knitting themselves together. It displayed a melting pot aura as they all conjoined with a blatant sense of pride.

Promise peered on with Ray-Ban sheathed orbs as she hobbled behind her energetic son. He glanced up at her with a smiling face as he gripped her hand tighter. "Slow down baby," She chuckled as he attempted to hurry her along. Zayvion was looking forward to seeing his dad since his mom let it be known to him that he was somewhere close. He'd just come back from visiting his other grandparents and hadn't seen his father in at least a week. It was evident that Zayne was his sole focus. "Let my god-baby be excited,"Nikita giggled, obviously tickled by his impatience.

She rolled her eyes while the three of them weaved through a lengthy sea of people. She kept sight of her son's snapback as she trailed behind him. Nikita walked alongside the two sipping from a cold beverage that she'd gotten from a stand not too far away. It made Promise wish that she'd gotten something to drink because it would cool her down. Although the turquoise floral printed high waist shorts and solid white crop top she wore was light the air felt like it was only blowing ever so faintly.

"I think I see them just a couple feet up ahead."Nikita rose on her toes with her hand covering her brown eyes away from the sun's glare. Promise knew that she was referring to the men of Kappa Alpha Psi. It made sense for them to be right in the middle of campus since their fraternity was among one of the most popular. She began to shake her head as they gradually came upon an array of howling young women. She picked her son up and held him on her hip as they suddenly started ambling through the obvious thirst trap. Little Zay covered his ears with his hands as the women grew louder. "This don't make no damn sense."Nikita huffed, instantly growing irritated. Promise giggled with a nodded,"It don't though."

They had arrived just in time for their performance as Zayne himself led the selected group of men. "Look at Zayne ol' Rico Suave looking ass."Nikita laughed. Promise couldn't deny the giggle that escaped her lips. The women went wild as he grinned at them teasingly and allowed his green orbs to scan each of their faces. A meticulous beat then began to play just as he neared the middle of the stage. The rest of the men followed suit with a cluster of effortless moves as they trailed behind him. They smoothly leaned downwards to grab their red and white canes with identical smirks, instantly earning more catcalls.

"I say, fellas!"

"Yooooo!"

"What time is it?!"

"Well, it's showtime!"Zayne answered while gripping his cane and stomping across the stage. He seemed genuinely hyped as he smacked his cane against the surface. "K-A-P-P-AYEEE!"His smooth baritone bellowed just before the other men joined in. They took over the stage with their electrifying moves – their goal in mind to represent and entertain all at the same time. They tossed their canes into the air, throwing them between each other. As they gathered the opposite man's cane they shouted,"K-A-Psi! K-A-Psi! K-A-Psi! Woo!" They followed that with a slew of meticulous twirling tricks and then they each slammed their canes onto the stage. It suddenly grew quiet on stage and across the audience as they stood before them commanding undivided attention.

Promise just couldn't keep her eyes away from Zayne as he led them into their infamous shimmy move. "Mhm. I see you!"Nikita chortled, interrupting her invasion of Zayne's frame. She rolled her eyes and quickly moved her attention elsewhere. They began to go into another step routine as someone else from the frat took the lead. Little Zay seemed fascinated with it all as he cheered on happily. "He's going off like he's up there though,"Nikita mentioned while folding her arms across her chest. Her smile was never ending as it folded at the creases of her full lips. "Yes, that probably comes from him being around them so much."She answered with a shrug of her shoulders.