Chapter 9

Lily's POV.

The days past and I started to wonder if Dylan and his mom really were in danger. Nothing had happened so far other than Jayden being everywhere Dylan and I were. It was one in the morning when I heard the front door open.

I snuck downstairs to see my brother stagger into the house. He swung the door closed and stumbled to the couch. I had a whiff of something the smelled strangely like.....

"Buck?" I walked over to him and folded my arms. "Where were you?" He waved my off carelessly. "Pary fun.....tasty food....cute girls..." I slammed my palm into my head. "You were out at a party....you got drunk..."

"I not drunk!" He slurred. "Buck! You are 15! What were you thinking?" He shrugged and became fascinated with the tv remote. "Brayden is a good friend...." I groaned. "No he is not. Wait....how did you get home?"

He grinned a small grin and pointed to his nose. "Followed smell of house." I face palmed and pulled him up. "Let's get you to your room. When mom finds out....." He leaned on me and slurred constantly. 

I shoved him in his room. "Go to sleep. You're not going to school in the morning." I closed his door and went back to my room. A rock hit my window and I startled awake.

Peeking out, I saw Uncle Jack standing there, motioning for me to hurry down. I ran downstairs and out the door. "What are you doing here?" I asked. He didn't smile. His face was grim. "I told you, that you had a job to do. I gave you an assignment. 

I was confused. "WH-what are you talking about?" He remained silent and turned and strode to his car. I followed, a little uncomfortable. 

"Here." He handed me a vest. "Wha-" "It's a bulletproof vest. Go inside and put it under your clothes.....and change into something appropriate." I glanced down at my pajamas and sighed. "Be quick." 

I came back out with grey track pants and a green t-shirt with a grey hoodie. "Good enough." Uncle Jack pulled from under the passenger seat a duffle bag. After a bit of digging, he pulled out a small gun.

Placing it in my hand, he nodded to the car. "Get in." I was still confused as I stuffed the gun into my pocket, and slid into the seat. "We're going to Dylan Tanner's house." he said as he began to drive. 

"Why?" He stared at me, his baby blue eyes full of seriousness. "Lily, do you remember why II told you to befriend him?" I nodded. "He and his mom were in danger. They are being hunted by Viper." 

He nodded. "Viper is on their way to his house right now. They might be there already. I told you to protect him! Not go googly eyes on him!" I winced at his tone. "U-Uncle Jack-" "No, you have a job to do. No heart eyes, only protection."

I stared at my hands. I had been so into being his friend and pushing my feeling for him into the way, I had forgotten my reason for being his friend.....I-It was fake. The friendship was supposed to be fake. How could I do that to him?

3rd person POV.

The car stopped and Lily looked up. Jack hopped out and nodded to her to follow. He had parked around the corner from Dylan's house. Unknown to them a great enemy awaited. Three Viper agents crouched outside the Tanner's small home. 

The agents pressed a button on a small device and attached it to the front door. A small click was heard and they eased the door open.

The youngest of the evil agents nodded to the other three to search the house. They were dressed in all black. From head to toe. Masks covered their faces, and the emblem of Viper was stitched on their right shoulders. 

An agent approached the younger and saluted. T]"They are bothe asleep." the boy nodded. "You take the woman. The boy is mine." The man nodded and saluted again before slipping off into the shadows.

A small squeak sounded as Lily eased open the window of Mrs. Tanner's window. Slipping into the dark room, she and her Uncle looked around. "I have her. Go find Dylan." Jack whispered, cocking his gun.

Lily nodded and left the room. As she slipped through the hall, Lily's keen ears picked up a short, small click. Spinning around she was met with nothing but a wall. No one in sight. Lily knew she heard something and was sure she wasn't alone.

Suddenly strong arms wrapped around her from behind, closing in on her throat. I small gasp escaped er lips as she pulled at the arms in an effort to free herself. 

The grip on her neck got stronger and Lily started to panic. What was she to do? Then she remembered something she had thought Dylan herself. 

Locking her grip in her oppressor's bulging biceps, she doubled over, causing the stranger to flip over her and crash into the floor. It was a low thud, but in the silent house, it sounded like a thunderclap. 

The man struggled to get up, but Lily grabbed a vase from a nearby dresser and smashed it over his head. The man groaned and slumped to the floor.

Lily made it to Dylan's room and breathed a sigh of relief to see him asleep and alive. She pushed the door closed with her foot, unaware of the figure behind the door who's eyes glared at her with utmost hatred. 

Lily looked around the room. The sound of Dylan's soft breathing was music to her ears. All of a sudden, a harsh grunt was heard. Lily turned just in time to see a metal baton similar to what police officers have swung towards her. 

Ducking just in time, Lily surged forward and tackled him down. He was close to her size. Probably her age or a few hears older. The Viper agent was ready for this, however, and flipped her over, slamming her to the ground, and crashing his elbow into her ribs.

Lily yelped out in pain and went limp as dots swirled in her vision. "Stay out of the way....Lily." The voice was dark but sounded familiar. "Wh-what...?" Lily's heart stopped as she realised Dylan had awakened. 

She forced herself to look up, as he's eyes went wide in the pale moonlight pouring into the room. "M-mo-mom! Mom!" He jumped up and backed into the wall, as the young man pulled out a military quality pistol. 

Lily forced herself up, and rushed at the Viper agent, pulling him away. Dylan's eyes were wide with fear. A scream filled the silent night. "M-mom...?!" He whimpered. The Viper agent growled and struggled to pull his arms from Lily's grasp.

He twisted his gun hand around till the barrel was at Lily's chest. He smirked behind his mask before pulling the trigger.

Woah! Cliff hanger!!! Happy New year everybody! who do you think the young man is?! What will happen to Lily? What about Dylan and his mom?