Chapter 13

Lily lay relaxed on the roof of her home. The air was warm and fresh. Her eyes closed, she was as calm as could be. "Lily!" A groan left Lily's lips as she sat up and opened her eyes. The sun was bright, and Lily had to shield her eyes from the light.

"What is it, Buck?!" She yelled down. Her brother sat in the driveway, bent over a bike. "Can you drive me to Brayden's house?" Lily snorted. "Not on your life! He is a bad example. Mom would kill me, if she knew I let you go, as well as driven you."

Buck stood. "My bike is busted!" Lily lay back down, her arms behind her head. "And who's fault is that?" He was silent for a moment as if thinking up a smart alec response. Lily's smirk apeared as she closed her eyes and relaxed once more.

"Lily, your boyfriend is here!" Lily almost rolled off the roof. "WH-what? Who?!" She looked down to see Jayden pull up on his bike. "Hi, Lily!" He called. "How did you get up there?" 

She looked for an explainable response other than; "Oh, I just climbed the three story brick wall. No big deal."  "Um...Ladder! Yeah, a ladder." Jayden looked around. "What ladder. I don't see one."

"Why is he prying?" she thought. "Is he trying to prove something?" Any other person would have le it go and went on, but not Jayden. He was....different. Strangely different. Lily thought. "It's on the other side of the house. Hang on. I'll be there in a sec."

She crossed the other side of the roof and jumped down. She walked around and smiled. "What brings you here, Jayden?" She ignored her brother going kissy faces out of the corner of her eye. Jayden didn't seem to notice.

"I am here to give this to you." He held out her phone. (If you remember, when she went to help him with homework a few chapters back, she came home and realized her phone was not with her.)

"You left it at my place." With a smile, but suspicious eyes and thoughts, Lily took the phone. "Thanks...." Lily smiled. She had received a temporary replacement from Uncle Jack, but this was her actual phone. All her contacts, and pictures. 

Had he looked through it? What would he gain from it anyways? "Wait..." That had happened weeks ago. How long had he had it? Why had he kept it so long? What if... "I knew it." Lily thought. 

She knew that hug he had given her before she had left felt strange, wrong even. He had swiped her phone! But why. What was it to him? It was a normal phone. If he had meant to steal it, why did he return it?

A million thoughts bubbled and popped in Lily's head. But one remained bigger and bolder than the others. Was Jayden the one in the attack in Dylan's home? The guy had seemed familiar. He limped slightly....Where she had kicked him probably?

"I-I won't believe it." Lily thought. I couldn't be real! Was what she thought the truth? "You're welcome." He smiled back. A smile she one thought to be perfect. "I should get going. He mock saluted and hopped on his bike. 

"Thanks..." Buck mocked. "Quiet." She snapped. He yelped. "Why you have to be so scary?" She shrugged. "I donno, Why you gotta be so unsmart?" He whined and went to 'tattle' but Lily didn't care. 

If her hypothesis was correct, then Dylan was in more danger than she feared. "Jayden knows how close we are. He knows where Dylan lives...." Her replacement phone rang. The contact ID read, sergeant Snappy. A nickname Jack had for himself when he programmed his number on it.

Lily picked up. "Hey, Uncle Jack." "Lily? I need to talk to you. Now. Alone." Lily's eyebrows furrowed. Uncle Jack sounded worried. Frightened even. She always knew him as her Favourite uncle. Her Superman. But he sounded like he needed a superhero now. 

"Uncle Jack, what's wrong? I'm not understanding-" "I'm on my way to pick you up. Be ready." He ended the call. Lily's mind raced. What could be the matter? Making her way upstairs, Lily slipped her gun Jack had given her from under her mattress and into her pocket. 

The sound of a car pulling up in the driveway meant Uncle Jack was there. Lily rushed downstairs and out to her Uncle. "What's going on?" She asked as she slid into the seat beside him, buckling herself in.

Without answering, or even a look at her, Jack stomped onto the gas pedal, and flew down the street. "Uncle Jack?" Lily glanced up at him. His face was red, and is knuckles were white as they clutched the steering wheel.

"Speak to me. Now." She demanded. Lily loved her Uncle and respected him, but she needed him to open his mouth. He looked at her, before sighing a great sigh. "I-I was contacted....by Viper." Lily's eyes went wide, but waited for him to continue.

"He-he threatened you....and my family, If we don't stop interfering with their plans with Dylan and his mom." Lily sat back. "He said," Jack continued. "That he had an agent that took a fancy to you, and that he thanks you for the information."

He gaze turned serious. "Lily. Did you give them information? On Dylan Tanner and his mother? Like, their address for example?" Lily slumped back in her seat. It was as she feared. She had avoided the truth for too long.

"J-Jayden....." It then occurred to Lily that, she did not know his last name. "Who?" Jack growled. "A boy in my class. About two months ago, he was transferred to our school from North Dakota...." 

Jack nodded, listening. "He...." Lily told him about her suspicions, and him taking her phone. Then returning it today of all days. The same day, Viper contacted her uncle. 

Jack's baby blue eyes filed with anger. "I am calling off our assignment to protect Dylan Tanner." Lily's blooH

Lily was silent for a good thirty minutes. "I understand." She mumbled. "But Dylan is my friend. I can't just leave him!" Jack sighed. "I have no other choice." Lily slammed her fist against the dashboard.

"How can you say that?! Mom had to make choices like this all the time! She knew the risks, though she took them! So did you!" Jack took his eyes off the road to look her in her green eyes. "And that's why my parents died. That's why our friend, Tony was killed in an attack three years ago, and why your mother resigned."

Lily's eyes softened. "S-she what? She said she was taking a leave of absence to spend more time with us...." Jack looked back at the road. "She didn't want to worry your dad or you. She didn't want to put you guys in any more danger so.....she quit."

Silence reigned between them as the truth set into Lily's heart. Her mother, the great Alex Rodgers, was a coward.

Oh, my! What is going to happen?! SO much happening at once!