Chapter 12

Jackson Rodgers wasn't planning on leaving the house today. His wife had cooked his favourite meal for lunch, so he was stuffed, and content. Not in a gluttonous way, though. In an I-am now-ready-for-nap-cuz-my-niece-and-I-patrolled-a-boy-and-his-mother's-house-last-night kind of way. 

With a contented yawn, Jack made himself comfortable on the sofa and rested his arm behind his head. "Daddy!" A little boy with sandy hair and a twinkle in his eye ran up and jumped on Jack's stomach. 

It took Jack quite a lot to keep from his lunch messing up Grace's nice clean couch. His wife was pretty strict when it came to her furniture being spick and span. "R-Roy....daddy's tired." Jack picked up the six-year-old and places him on the carpet.

The little boy pouted. "Play time, Daddy....!" Jack sighed. "Roy, I just ate. I need time to rest." Roy's eyes gleamed. "Mommy's food is good!"

Jack chuckled and tussled his hair. "Yes, you are correct. Mommy's food is good. Too good." Roy clapped his tiny hands in delight. "Play now!" Jack groaned. "A little bit later. OK, buddy?" His son pouted again but nodded. 

"Ok, Daddy." Roy ran off. Jack made himself comfortable once more, and closed his eyes. It seemed like a moment passed before; "Daddy! Ready story!" Jack's eyes snapped open to see Roy holding up his favourite book; Run Dinosaur, run

Jack would have told him, that he needed his sleep, but his son's eyes were full of innocence and hopefulness. "OK, fine." Sitting up, Jack placed his son on his knee and began to read.

 "One there was a family of dinosaurs." He began. "One was a big, Papa dino. Another was a small mama dino. The last was a teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy...." He poked Roy's tummy on every exaggerated word. 

The little boy squirmed in a fit of giggles. When the story ended, Roy was fast asleep. Jack could never get how a story could make a boy this tired. Then again. Roy had asked to hear it, over and over again. 

"Nap time, little dino." Jack kissed his head and carried him upstairs where he placed him in bed. "Jack?" A soft voice asked. Jack turned to see his wife, Grace standing in the doorway, the house phone in her hand. 

She was as beautiful as she had been when he met her. But her face was one of worry. "What is it hon?" Jack exited the room and closed the door quietly. His wife tried for a smile. "Th-the phone is for you."

Jack took the phone and nodded a thanks to Grace. "Hello?" "Is this Jackson Rodgers?" a deep and gruff voice asked. "It is. Who may I ask is this?" The person cleared his throat. "Who we are does not matter. What does it the safety of your family." 

"'We?'" Jack asked, confused and a little wary. Was this guy threatening his family? The voice seemed to chuckle. Not in a friendly way either. "Yes, Jackson. 'We'. You're little......interference with our plans has not gone unseen. You and the girl."

The hairs at the back of Jack's neck stood straight. They were threatening Lily. his Lily. How dare they! Then...the had threatened his Wife and son. "Wh-what do you mean? Who are you?!" The voice remained unscathed. 

"Goodbye, Jackson Rodger. Remember. The boy or your family. And do tell the girl thank you. one of our agents really takes a liking to her." "How-" The line went dead. Jack sank onto the edge of the bed. 

"Jack?" He stood and unlocked the door. Grace's eyes watered. "Who was that?" He forced a smile. "Don't worry about it. Just work." She shook her head. He's called before asking for you. I had told him you weren't home."

Jack pulled her into his arms. "His voice scared me....I-I was afraid....When he called today.....he made a threat...on Roy." Jack held her tighter. "Nothing is going to happen to our son, or to you." He looked her in the eyes. 

"I promise you that."

Hello! I thought I should make a chapter about what's going on with Jack! hope you enjoyed it!