Chapter 9 -Getting through Diglett Cave

A\N No Gladions or Pokemon were hurt in the writing of this Chapter ;) But some action was called for

The farther you and Gladion walked into Diglett's cave, the less construction workers you saw. You were still a bit concerned about the early rampages of the Diglett, but the workers said it was safe now. You kept close to Gladion just in case it wasn't all that safe. He looked at you, "Something wrong?" he asked. You avoided eye contact, "No" you answered trying to appear like nothing was wrong. Gladion looked down at Eevee, who was normal and content, then looked back at you. "You're scared, aren't you?" he concluded. You stopped, "I'm not scared" you said. Gladion kept walking, "If Eevee isn't scared, you shouldn't be either. You must remember that your Pokemon can sense how you're feeling and will react to it" he told you. You thought for a second. He was right, you had to be brave for your Pokemon. You attempted to put on a brave face and caught up to Gladion. You still kept close. He seemed a little annoyed with you being so close, but he didn't object to it.

Gladion wasn't much for talking and you really didn't want to bother him. Although you wanted to get to know him better. "So... where did you get Null, if you don't mind me asking?" you attempted to start a conversation. He stopped walking and seemed to have a look of sadness in his eyes,"I'd rather not say" he told you. You wanted to pry,"Did you steal it?" you were curious. His eyes returned to their cold look, "You can say that. But it was to protect Null" he said. Protect Null? The ground suddenly shook a bit beneath you. You nearly jumped and hid behind Gladion. Eevee looked curious but wasn't afraid. A dirt trail appeared and up popped a Diglett. "It's just a Diglett. Stop being a Torchicken" Gladion reassured you with a bit of attitude. You looked at the Diglett, it was so cute with the tree little steel like hair on its head. Eevee jumped out of your arms to greet the Diglett. The Diglett went back under ground and brought along some friends. 5 Digletts now surrounded you, they were happy and content. Eevee ran around trying to get them. It was cute to watch, but Gladion didn't seem so sure about it. The rumbles underneath you started to increase, although the Diglett were just playing. The rumble stopped and none of the Diglett returned. It was quiet. Eevee jumped into your arms, something was wrong. Gladion grabbed your arm, "Let's go" he commanded and started to run. You weren't sure what was happening, but you didn't want to find out. You let Gladion drag you by your arm in a hurry. The ground started to rumble again, but it was stronger. It was suddenly hard to run and keep balance with the ground shaking. You couldn't stand straight and fell down, taking Gladion down with you. "Sorry", you apologized. He didn't say anything, but he didn't try to stand up again.

The rumbles stopped and everything seemed to spin around you. "Don't move", Gladion whispered. What did he mean? You wanted to get into a more comfortable position, but you decided not to move. Eevee left your grasp and started to look around. It was sniffing at the ground, until it was interrupted when a Dugtrio appeared and it didn't look happy. Eevee ran back to you scared. More Dugtrio popped up, enraged. "I thought it was ...safe", you tried to say in a calm manner. "Something or someone must have came back", Gladion suggested. Gladion tried to appease the angry Dugtrio, "We're not here to hurt you. We just want to pass" he told them calmly. The Dugtrios looked appeased for a moment, until a slight rumble was felt below. Whatever it was, I don't think it was good news for the Dugtrio. All the Dugtrios cried out and simultaneously used Earthquake. The area shook ferociously. Rocks started to fall from the ceiling and the ground started to crack. Gladion picked himself up with some effort and grabbed your hand. Both of you tried to run, but it was no use with everything shaking. A huge rock landed in front of you and broke the ground beneath it. The Dugtrio didn't cease their quaking and the area around you and Gladion cracked underneath. Gladion pulled you into a hug as the ground shattered, sending you two falling into the darkness below. Eevee was nestled safely between you and Gladion. The fall seemed like it lasted a while. You watched as the light from the hole above faded. Before you knew it, it was pitch black.

You didn't know if it was all a dream until you finally hit the ground hard. But you felt like you landed on something or someone. Your body ached a little. Eevee cried out, but was safe in your arms. You called out, "Gladion?" but no one answered. You felt around the darkness, until you felt a body close by. You moved your hands cautiously around the person, you were sure it was Gladion but he was unconscious. You were ok but why was he knocked out? You thought for a minute, then suddenly realized. Gladion broke your fall. You were worried but thankful. He risked himself so you wouldn't get hurt. You felt bad for landing on top of him though, but you didn't make that decision. He did. You felt around your backpack and took out a flashlight, you turned it on. You checked Gladion and flipped him over on his back. He was covered in dirt and had some scrapes from the impact. But other than that, he looked ok. You looked up from where you came. Damn those Dugtrio. Why were they so angry? Why did they attack you? Well, you couldn't change things now. You had to somehow get out of here. But how? You didn't have a big enough Pokemon to carry Gladion. But his Null should be able to. You hoped Gladion wouldn't be upset with using Null, but you had to get Gladion out of here. Eevee tried to wake Gladion, but he didn't budge. You searched around Gladion until you found Null's pokeball. "Null I really need you right now. Gladion isn't well and he's unconscious. Please help", you pleaded to its pokeball. Null responded right away and appeared from its pokeball. It looked down at Gladion concerned. Eevee had a quick conversation with Null, probably explaining what just happened. "Null is it alright that I lay Gladion on your back?" you asked. Null nodded and you tried your best to pick up Gladion and lay him on Null's back. The area was still dark and you weren't sure how long this flash light was going to last. You had to get out of here ASAP.

You walked together with Null and Eevee for a while. Gladion still hasn't woken up yet. You needed some help. "Can you two think of any way to get us out?" you asked Eevee and Null. They looked at each other and began to call out into the darkness. They were calling for help. The area went silent as their calls echoed through the cave. A bunch a flapping wings could be heard in the distance. You shined your light in that direction and saw a roost of Zubat flying your way. The Zubat fluttered around you, as if waiting to be of assistance, "Please Zubat. We are lost and would appreciate if you can help us get out of this cave. We were attacked by the Dutrio and my friend is hurt" you told them earnestly. The Zubats talked amongst themselves and agreed to help you out. The roost flew around you and you all followed them to where ever they were going. Eventually, light began to return as you emerged from underground onto the top level. The Zubats lead you all the way to the exit before turning around. You thanked them genuinely for helping you and one of them even gave you an oran berry.

With Gladion still unconscious on Null's back, you rushed out of the cave. Konikoni city wasn't for another 20 minutes, but luckily there was a nearby police station. You walked in and told the officer at the desk about Gladion. The officer gave Gladion a look over, " I see. I used to be a nurse you see when I was younger. It was a hobby of mine. But you were right to bring him here instead of waiting to get to Konikoni city" he told you. The officer took you and Gladion to a small spare room in the back, "We usually use this room if we need a nap, but this will do until your friend wakes up" he said "I'll be right back with a first aid kit" the officer left to get it. You sat in a nearby chair and waited. Null lied on the floor next to you and Eevee was right next to Null. The officer returned with the first aid and treated Gladion's minor injuries, "No need to rush when he wakes up. So please take your time and let me know if there is anything you need" the officer told you kindly. You thanked him before he left back to his post. You knew Gladion would be alright, but something inside you made you want to cry. You held back your tears as best as you could. He saved you, but he got hurt for it.