03. "fatherly instinct"

SOPHIE

"Your dad doesn't like me."

I roll my eyes, swinging my legs over the counter. They barely touch the floor even when I'm sitting on the edge, but this way I can create the illusion that I'm not that short as Chase racks the mini fridge for a beer.

"He doesn't not like you," I try to explain. He raises a skeptical eyebrow. "He just thinks you're a little rude."

"To who?"

"To everyone."

"Wanna know why?"

"Hm?"

"Because fuck everyone," he says, spitefully. I give him a look as if to say this is why, and he sighs. "You know how I am."

"I do."

"Then why does your old man hate me?"

"He's not old." I frown.

He groans. "Babe, it's an expression."

"I know, but-"

"Listen," he uncaps a Heineken, tossing it lazily to the side and smirking as it falls behind the table. Tilting his head back, Chase takes one long gulp of the bitter drink before setting it back down and wiping his mouth. "Don't get sidetracked. I'm asking you an actual, personal question."

"It's a pointless question."

"How so?" he squints at me.

I shrug. "Because there's nothing to talk about."

"But there is."

"But there isn't."

"Yes, there is."

"Chase," I whine.

"Sophie," he mimicks me. I fold my arms, jutting out my bottom lip as he sighs and stands in front of me. He places his hands ever so gently on my knees and a whole group of butterflies choreograph a dance in my stomach. "I don't understand why he dislikes me so much."

"Fatherly instinct." I say, though it comes out sounding as unsure as ever.

"But he doesn't even know about us," Chase pouts. He looks good when he does that but then again, he looks good no matter what. Ashley says it's the boyband glow about him. I shove her and argue that his band isn't a boyband, though I know better seeing as none of them play instruments and Chase's only participation is to work backing vocals.

He leans his forehead against mine. His dark brown hair is tickling my face and I giggle as he grins at me, teeth bright and perfectly aligned with his lips. "Does he?"

"Nope." I shake my head no and I pop the 'p'. I don't think I'll ever get around to telling Luke about Chase and I. It's not really one of those things I want to bring up when I'm cuddling into him on the couch or when he takes me out for ice cream on the weekends. I know it'll kill his mood and I hate it when he's upset. "He doesn't know."

"Can we keep it like that?" Chase holds his pinky finger up to me and I smile as I hook it with my own. "Just until the tour's over."