22. "tell me, princess"

SOPHIE

There are so many different ways Luke and I could have ended up. He could have been my neighbour. He could have been my mother's long lost second cousin. Even my stepbrother. He could have been all those things but instead the universe had to do us both dirty and give him the title of being my Daddy.

Luke says that little girls aren't supposed to make their daddies feel the way I make him feel and I asked him what he meant. Like always, Daddy diverted the question and changed the subject. He does that so much I'm starting to wonder if it's his leeway to get out of awkward conversations.

I got a little angry at him but it's not like I'm still the one to blame. Sure, I asked the question, but only because he initiated something he couldn't finish in the car and left me hanging.

"Baby, we can't be talking about this." he said, looking around as if somebody was right around the corner holding a tape recorder. I frowned.

"Why not?"

"It's not right."

"Neither is you avoiding the question."

"I'm not avoiding anything," he looked pained. "I just don't want you to say things you don't mean."

"But I mean them!"

"You don't know that,"

"Yes, I do."

"Sophie," he sighed, rubbing his temples. "You're too young."

"Too young?" I repeated in disbelief.

"Drop the tone," Daddy demanded. I rolled my eyes. "You don't know what you're saying, sweetheart. You're going through a weird time in your life now-"

"So are you, apparently."

"Excuse me?"

"You said I make you horny," I quipped, rather harshly. His cheeks reddened. "Does that mean you're going through a weird time, too?"

"Well, n-no-"

"Exactly."

"But that's different."

"How so?"

"I..." he pinched the bridge of his nose, retreated back into his seat. His grip on the pillow didn't loosen as he looked at me. "...I don't know, okay? It just is!"

"Is it because you're older than me?"

"Not necessar-"

"Because I know a lot more than you think."

"Again, watch the attitude," he squinted his eyes in my direction. It was too late. I was much too riled up to take his threat seriously.

"Or what?"

"Sophie." Daddy's voice stayed stern.

"Daddy."

"What's gotten into you?" he turned to face me, eyebrows furrowed together, teeth on his lip ring. I felt like screaming at him and kissing his lips and running out of the room all at the same time. "You've been so snappy with me lately."