11. "fucking nudes"

SOPHIE

"You want to what?"

"I want to tell him."

"No," Chase shakes his head. "Absolutely not."

"Why?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Because he'd kill me, Soph."

"He wouldn't kill you."

"Just hurt me really bad?"

"Yes." he gives me a look. "No." his eyebrow raises. "Maybe."

"Great," he lets his head lean back against the headboard, sighing loudly. "That makes things so much better."

"Chase, please," I take a hold of his arm and he sighs yet again. "Can't we just tell him? It's been so long now and I hate lying to him."

"He doesn't like me, babe," he says, pinching the bridge of his nose. "What if he tries to keep you away from me?"

"What?" I ask, baffled.

"Yeah. You know how over the top some fathers get, especially over their daughters."

"Well, Luke's not like that. He won't."

"You'd be surprised."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that your Dad can sometimes get a little too protective over you," he tells me. I frown. "And don't try to convince me that he isn't what I'm saying he is. I heard the radio broadcast."

My shoulders slump. "You watched that?"

"Listened to it." Chase corrects me, laying an arm around my shoulder. I try my hardest to snuggle into him but I end up stiffening. "And to be completely honest, he sounded more pissed than Calum did talking about his fucking nudes."

"He's just looking out for me. You know that."

"I do."

"Then why can't you try to be a little more understanding?" I ask, looking up at him.

"I am trying," Chase says, tightening his grip around me. It feels uncomfortable but it's too late to move now. "Your old man, however, is doing the exact opposite."

"Don't call him old."

"But that's what he is."

"Chase,"

"Sweetie," he mimicks, before chuckling at the conpletely unamused face I pull.

"Come on, Soph. You know we can't tell him."

"Yes, we can," I say stubbornly. "Why won't you listen to me?"

"Don't try to make this into an argument when it doesn't need to be," he warns me, frowning slightly. "You know for a fact things won't go well."

"No, I don't. What if things go really well and my dad actually likes you?"

"The day that happens is the day you see my band on stage playing instruments," Chase jokes.

I know he means it to be comforting but my deadpan expression doesn't budge. "Oh, lighten up, Sophie."

"I'll lighten up once you actually listen to me."