08. "daddy and his friend"

SOPHIE

Daddy's stayed single for as long as I can remember. The last time I recall him having a girlfriend was a little over four years ago, when he was twenty and head over heels for this woman I can't name because I chose to forget.

They broke up sometime in the summer, before the band released one of their newer albums. I haven't heard from her since and for obvious reasons, I'm glad- she didn't like me and it's no mystery as to why I didn't like her.

He's stayed a while away from the dating game now and I don't know why that makes me so happy. I know it's cruel, I know it's selfish. But whenever I think of Daddy with another woman, my heart does this weird flippy thing and I want to latch onto his legs to ensure that never happens.

"It's normal," Mom had said, when I asked her about it. I was eleven and when I saw pictures of Daddy coming out of a nightclub, hand in hand with the same girl he ended up falling for, my smile deflated.

"Most girls don't like it when their fathers get new girlfriends because they feel like they have competition." it came to the point in time where almost everyone had accepted the fact that my nickname for Luke wasn't going to go away, not anytime soon, at least. Even my own mother had succumbed to it.

I took her word for it. I don't really know why I was so bothered, but Daddy was happy. And that meant that I was happy.

Now, however, I'm anything but that.

I can hear thumping in the hotel room next to me and without even having to check up on him, I know why Luke's not in the empty space next to me.

I groan loudly, slamming the front of my face into the pillow as my cheeks heat up from the noise.

I've been awake for god knows how long now and they've been going at it for much longer. I know this because it's what I woke up to; whoever's in the room with Daddy whimpering his name. I almost choked on my own tongue.

"Hello?" a deep, brooding voice says on the other end of the call. After letting it ring a couple of times, Chase finally picked up.

I swear, a breath of relief has never been so fast to escape my mouth before. "Chase."

"Sophie?" his tone is groggy, thick from waking up, and I feel awful for interrupting his strict sleep regime. Unlike Daddy, Chase actually sticks to the rules made up by Sadie to ensure that he performs as well as possible. "Babe?"

"C-Can you come get me?" I play with the excess material of a shirt draped over my torso, a shirt that isn't even mine at all. It belongs to the man in the room next to me who somehow forgot all about his daughter.

"What?" I hear him sit up. "Are you okay?"

I shake my head no. Then I realize Chase can't see me. "Can you just meet me in the hall, please?"

"Yeah. Yeah, sure," he clears his throat. I hear myself being put on loudspeaker. "I'll see you in a bit."

Chase's hotel room isn't that far from the one Daddy and I share. Or shared, seeing as he'd much rather rent the one next to us for a girl whose name he probably won't remember in the morning.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I slip on a pair of fuzzy slippers and pad along to the door of the room. I flick the lights off, make sure that all of the bedding is where it should be, and then I make my way outside.

He's already there, standing tall at 6'2 with his dark brown hair swept to the side and his grey eyes shining. He looks like your typical college frat boy, complete with the blue polo shirt and a pair of chino pants. All he needs now is a posse of loud guys who all look the same.