32. "a love triangle"

SOPHIE

"Let go of me."

"Babe, come on-"

"Let. Go. Of. Me." I glare at Chase, shaking his hand off of my shoulder as we begin to enter the building.

I told him beforehand not to touch me, but it's obvious he hadn't been listening. My requests were shortlived, anyway, and easily looked over; Chris ordered both of us to make it seem as if we were the happiest couple alive. We're supposed to put across a total lie, basically. I'd much rather be at home, sulking in front of the TV and waiting for Luke to come back despite being furious with him, but instead I'm on the red carpet; playing a part in a lie that I want nothing to do with.

I shouldn't even be here. I don't want to be here. But I am, and I hate it, because Chris James has now made me a chestpiece in his games and I am completely under his control. According to him, since I'm his biological daughter, I am also half of his "property". I hate Chris James. He keeps ruining my life.

It's quite dark outside, giving the flashing cameras something to work with, and I know because I've been through this countless of times before. Only those past times have always been different; I've always been with Luke.

"Can you at least try to smile?" Chase sighs.

"Can you at least stop trying to tell me what to do?" I say back, ignoring the fact that some things need filters. Unfortunately for him, I left mine back at the hotel room.

"Woah, there. I'm just trying to keep us out of trouble with your Dad."

"Which one?" I ask, in a monotone voice, as someone behind the rope orders us to pose a certain way.

"Chase, Sophie! Smile!" I don't know how they know my name, but I find myself not caring. All I'm focused on right now is getting through this long night in one piece, without getting into any serious verbal fights with Chase or any of the screeching photographers in front of me.

Chase sighs, again. "Your real one."

I grimace, hating how it's phrased, hating how it's true. "Chris?"

"You call your Dad by his first name?"

"Yes, because he's not my Dad."

"I'm pretty sure he is, sweetie."

"Don't call me that," I tell him, internally cringing at the patronizing tone in his voice.

"I was just trying to be nice."

"That's not being nice," I say. "And don't say that, it's weird."

"Say what?"

"That Chris is my Dad."

"But it's true."

"No, he's not."

"What, and Luke is?"

"No."

"Exactly."

"You're a pain,"

"I'm just trying to lighten the mood," Chase mutters. He then wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him, and I have honestly never felt more disgusted. "You know, when your D- Chris, told me I'd be in a PR, I never thought it'd be with you."