09. "tie up"

LUKE

There's only so much coffee one man can take until the effects stop working. In my case, seven cups- and that isn't even in the span of one morning.

My head hurts and I lean against the dresser. It feels like someone's pounding a mallet into my skull. I shouldn't be this effected- I've done way worse than taking body shots off of a line of about fifteen people- but I am. It's unnerving.

"So, you gonna give me a goodbye kiss, or what?" Charlotte's looking at me with her handbag in one hand, her other preoccupied with keeping the zipper of her dress together. I'd ripped it in a haste the night before and though I offered to buy her a new one, she refused.

"Leaving so soon?" my voice is gruff as I try to avoid her question. She chuckles.

"The girls will be wondering where I am. Better meet them downstairs before then," she leans in, presses her lips against mine. I don't kiss back. I can't find the energy or the will to. "See you, Hemmings. Thanks for last night." I duck my head down as she gives me a wink.

I watch as Charlotte exits the hotel room, waving with a long hand before letting the door slam shut.

I'm a mixture of dazed and confused, standing in the middle of my hotel room with a mug of coffee and a lipstick stain overlining my mouth. I need more sleep. I'm not going to get it, but at least I know I'm lacking something.

I should probably check on Sophie. I was going to last night, hell, I even left her a dozen missed calls, but Charlotte wouldn't even let me leave the damn bed. Nevermind the room.

Placing the mug of coffee down, I tousle the nest that is my bedhead. Then I sigh and walk over to the wall, taking a quick peek in the mirror.

A mess is what I am; a sexually disorientated mess with bags big enough to carry things from IKEA under my eyes. I'm lucky Charlotte even agreed to coming home with me last night.

I get dressed, slipping on a pair of sweatpants as I hook a shirt over my shoulder. It's cold but I'm lazy, and as I lock the door to the spare hotel room, I make my way to Sophie's.

I'm hoping that she's still asleep. And hopefully, she didn't wake up to anything in the middle of the night because that would really make for an awkward conversation starter.

At least you called to check up on her. Although that's true, I still left her to sleep on her own. I've never done that before and I don't think she'll be very pleased.

I peek through the door to her hotel room, slowly at first. I'm surprised once my eyes land on her, quietly humming to herself as she sits cross legged on the bed.

She's got a hoodie on, my hoodie, her knees tucked up to her chest. She's not rocking back and forth so she's not crying. The scene is almost the most peaceful thing I've seen.

She's facing the window, away from me, staring at the view of something beautiful beyond the plexiglass.

I swallow. Sophie's looking at how breathtaking the city is, at the buildings, at the cars- but all I'm looking at is how stunning my little girl looks in an oversized sweatshirt.

I shift my weight from one foot to the other. Goddamnit, Heart, stop pounding. Calm the fuck down. What the-

"Daddy?"

It goes over my head completely and I almost don't respond. I dig my nails into the flesh of my palm. What the fuck are you doing?

"Daddy."