07. "you need to get laid"

LUKE

"That Chase kid is really starting to piss me off," Michael mutters, eyes dark as he looks over his sunglasses. The boy himself is up on stage, rehearsing for tonight's opening act with the rest of his bandmates whose names I have yet to remember. We're sitting in the field opposite, a good way away from the empty seats of the stadium. "I mean, look at him."

"Leave him alone. He hasn't done anything to you." Ashton shrugs.

"I'm on Mikey's side for this one," I butt in. "I don't like Chase, either."

"Of course you don't." Calum says, in a tone that's probably supposed to be playful, yet it makes me look at him all the same.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"No, you said something," I furrow my eyebrows, turning to him as he rolls his eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. It means nothing." I give him a look and he laughs it off. "Chill, will you? It was a joke."

"Didn't sound like one."

"But it was."

"But it wasn't."

"How's Sophie?" Ashton's quick to break us up, eyes flickering between both Calum and I as a way to warn us to keep calm.

My heart skips a beat at the slight mention of the little girl and I don't exactly know why. "She's alright," I say. He nods.

"Was she okay after the interview?"

"Yes," I reply, thinking back. "I told her that the guy was just being a dick."

"You said it like that?"

"Well, no," I crack a small smile. "I had to tell her he was just being mean. She understood."

"Because he was."

"Mhm."

"What did she say?"

"She made me promise never to storm out on an interview ever again," I chuckle lightly.

"Are you going to stick to that promise?" Michael asks, hinting.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure?"

"No."

I watch as he rolls his eyes. "Well, be sure soon. We have another one coming up next week and we don't want a repeat with Ross."

"As long as they don't bring her up, it'll be fine." I flex my fingers, feeding warmth into them to contrast the bitter cold of the air. "Are you guys doing anything today?"

"Going sightseeing."

"Probably just gonna practice the bassline for If You Don't Know."

"I'll provide backing beats for that, if you want?" Ashton offers. Calum grins, and together they share a loud high five.