10. "daddy, it hurts"

LUKE

Charlotte won't stop calling me and it's starting to get on my nerves. I have no idea how she got my number. I'd like to ask her about it but that would mean sparking up a conversation I know for a fact she won't let me leave.

"Why haven't you been answering my calls?" I pinched the bridge of my nose, allowed my head to fall back onto the headboard, as well as listening to the dramatic screeching of Charlotte on the other line and trying not to wake the sleeping little girl next to me. I sighed into the call.

"Charlotte, I told you," I said, quietly. "It was a one time thing."

"It was a special night, Luke!" I could hear her stomp her foot. When Sophie does it, it's cute. When she does it, I want to cringe for every foot-stomp in existence. "You can't possibly tell me you didn't feel anything."

"I didn't feel anything."

"Lies!" she cried. My eyes rolled to the back of my head.

"Will you please keep it down?" I asked, because although I had the phone on the lowest volume setting possible, Charlotte's melodramatic screaming wasn't doing anything to help. The last thing I wanted was to wake Sophie.

"What? Why?" she asked, snapped, even. "Why are you whispering?"

"Charlotte-"

"Oh, my god," she gasped, realization coating her tone as my eyebrows furrowed. "You're with another woman!"

"What?" I hissed, moreso to myself. "What the hell are you-"

"I should have known," she hissed. I wanted death right then and there. "You haven't been answering my texts because you've been cheating on me!"

No, I haven't been answering your texts because I've blocked your number. "Charlotte, I need to go." I said, rubbing my tired eyes.

She scoffed. "To go? To go where? Into another woman's pants?"

"Goodbye, Charlotte."

"Hemmin-"

I hung up the phone, not in the mood to hear her accuse me of things she had no right to accuse me of. I just tucked the cell under my pillow, wrapped an arm around Sophie's waist, and tried my hardest to fall asleep.

We woke up the next morning with no particular agenda in mind. It was my day off, and Sophie thankfully had no homeschool, so we decided to get breakfast somewhere isolated- like a little café on the quiet side of a mall in Brisbane.

"Daddy?" I come back to the small corner table with a hot chocolate in one hand and a black coffee in the other. I'm clumsy at the worst of times and I'm honestly just praying that I won't spill anything before I even get the chance to sit down.

Sophie's scrolling through my phone, frowning, lips pursed tightly together even as I hand her the drink. "Yes, baby?"

"Who's Charlotte?" Just some crazy girl who won't leave me alone.

I don't know what to say so I just sit opposite her. I know I shouldn't let her look so freely through my phone but it's not like I have anything to hide.