15. "she can't masturbate"

LUKE

"Baby, I am so sorry."

"It's okay, Daddy."

I know it's not okay. She won't look me in the eye. We've been sitting in this hotel room for the past two hours now, trying to talk about what the fuck just happened yet getting nowhere whatsoever.

"I didn't mean for you to see that."

"I know, Daddy. I told you it's okay."

"But it's not," I don't exactly know what I want- maybe some closure that Sophie doesn't suddenly hate me now.

I take her hands in mine, her skin warm and soft against my calloused fingertips. I have no words to say and nothing intelligent to mutter, so I decide to go with the most pathetic line possible.

"Are you okay?"

Sophie nods, her hair falling in front of her pretty face, eyes still not quite meeting mine. "Yes."

"I really am sorry, baby."

"It's not your fault, Daddy," Sophie says. This makes my eyebrows furrow because I don't quite have an idea as to what she's hinting at.

Not my fault? It's entirely my fault. I'm the one who forgot to lock the stupid door and I'm the one who came over his fucking daughter.

She's not your daughter. I ignore the voice just like I've done in the past, wanting it to be gone as well as the inappropriate urges I have been starting to feel out of nowhere.

I stare at Sophie, at her doe eyes and her plump lips puckered into an unintentional pout, and I feel sick to my stomach once I realize just how badly I want to lean in and-

No. I think, alarmed. Shut the fuck up. Stop it.

"Daddy?" her voice echoes like a melody sounding through an empty tunnel and I find myself transfixed, eyes on nothing but the smooth skin of her mouth.

Stop it, Luke. I gulp. This isn't right.

"Y-Yes, little girl?"

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what?"

She pauses. It's as if she's too scared to say something.

My mind screams at nothing in particular for her to just come out and say it, to put my mind at ease, to put everything at ease.

"Nothing." she mumbles. Something in my chest deflates. What was I expecting? "But I'm not mad at you, Daddy. I understand."

She sounds like a little kid trying to be a grown-up and it's honestly the most adorable thing ever. I don't think I'll ever be able to have enough of Sophie being adorable and to be truthfully honest, I don't ever want to.

Nevertheless, her words make me swallow in confusion as I look at her, eyebrow slightly raised.

She understands? "Y-you do?"

"Mhm," she hops off of the table, feet landing on the floor as delicately as her hand reaches up, tucking a loose piece of hair behind her ear.

She smiles at me. It's so pure and so clueless and so kind that her next few words don't quite have a sudden impact- not until she makes her way to the door of the hotel room and pulls it open.