39. epilogue

EPILOGUE

A Christmas tree stood tall in the living room, decorated and wrapped in seven different types of tinsel because nobody could decide what specific colour they wanted. Presents, as well as a crackling fireplace, completed the look of the seemingly normal living space; the only other thing being an empty sack of fur and velvet discarded to the side after emptying it of wrapped gifts.

With a heavy breath, Sophie wiped at the invisible sweat on her forehead, leaning back against the counter to take a peek at the cookies baking in the oven. They were the seventh batch of the morning because not only had she failed at making the dough three consecutive times, but the other four attempts had been 'accidentally' left in there for double the amount of time needed.

"I just suck at this," she sighed, bringing the phone closer to her ear as she heard a chuckle on the other side. Rolling her eyes, she turned to the window, eyes scanning the heavy snowfall on the other side.

"You don't suck. You just need some practice,"

"Practice? I shouldn't need practice to bake cookies," Sophie emphasized, internally groaning at the fact that she couldn't bake to save her life; trying once was one thing, failing seven (about to be eight) times in a row was a whole other type of frustration.

"Oh, calm down. I'll be there soon,"

"Okay, okay. Thank you."

"No problem," she heard the sound of a car door shutting, and automatic keys being rustled against a coat pocket. "Is the guest room ready?"

"Of course,"

"Wi-Fi good?"

"Yes," she mumbled, eyes squinting at the oven door. "Why do you ask?"

"Because I'm antisocial, even as a newly wed," she giggled as Ashley let out a deep exhale on the other end of the call. "Now, are you inside?"

"Yes, stalking the oven. Are you out already?"

"Mhm. Little pig, little pig, let me in," Sophie let out another laugh as, with one eye on the cookies, she quickly ran into the hallway and unbolted the front door.

The two hugged, frantic exchanges of conversation overlapping one another after a few months being apart for so long. Seeing as it was Christmas, Sophie decided to have family over; her 'family' consisting of her close friends and her mother.

"Where are the kids?" Ashley asked, just as the oven dinged and Sophie almost leapt out of her seat on the kitchen stool. A foggy type of steam rose into the air as she opened the oven door, trying not to stress too much about her third attempt.

"Upstairs. Asleep,"

"And not outside, playing in the snow?" Ashley questioned. "Stupid question. One's a baby and the other hates leaving the house." Sophie shrugged.

"Luke doesn't like them going outside for too long. Says they might get pneumonia,"

"Jesus, that boy needs to chill."

"He can't. He might get pneumonia," Sophie joked, making her friend shake her head in dissapointment.

"Stop with the dad jokes, please. Get some help."