37. "paint your room"

SOPHIE

Saying goodbye has got to be one of the hardest things ever.

You never really anticipate the other person's reaction. Most of the time it's unpredictable, which is what makes it so scary. Other times, it can be too overwhelming.

In my case, right here, right now, there's a numb feeling in my chest as I watch Chase pack the rest of his stuff up. There are two weeks left to go of the tour and his boyband aren't- unfortunately enough for them- a part of the last few remaining shows.

"I'll call you the second the plane lands in Minnesota," he tells me, covering the mess of hair on his head with a beanie. I just nod. He probably won't- we're not close enough to make a small commitment like that- but his words are comforting all the same.

"Is Ashley going with you?" I ask, though I know the answer already. Ashley can't stand Chase when he's with his bandmates, she's told me before. Yet I ask him anyway because an answer is better than pin-drop silence.

Chase shrugs. "Don't think so," he says. Then he turns around, two shirts in his hand. "Hey, help me out?"

"Sure," I sit up.

"Which one screams 'hot lead singer'?" he asks, looking serious.

"I don't know. But both of them scream 'pretty big ego' to me," I quip smartly, and he rolls his eyes, swivelling back to his suitcase.

"You're no help."

"I know, thanks."

I watch as Chase shoves a few more unimportant things into his suitcase, zipping it up with a sigh before plopping down on the soft mattress of the bed next to it. With bored eyes, he rests his head on his hand, eyes turning towards me.

"You wanna know what's weird?" he asks, a small smile on his face.

"What?"

"We used to go out," Chase states, finger flickering between us both. I raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah. And that, over there, is a window. And that thing you just put all your stuff in? A suitcase,"

"You have got to be the most sarcastic girl I know," he groans, throwing a pillow in my direction. I catch it, laughing slightly. "And my sister's Ashley! Also, you don't have to be so rude about it. I'm just telling you that we used to date."

"I'm aware of it," I say, poker-faced. "I was there."

"Again, I'm just saying," Chase chuckles, shaking his head. "Hey, Soph. Can I ask you a question?"

"Depends. Will I have to do Math?"

"What? No."

"Will I have to move?"

"No, not at all."

"Then go ahead."

"Thanks," Chase rolls his eyes, before letting out another short breath. As he bites his lip, he looks away from me. "Do you ever... think... you know, do you ever think that, maybe..."

"What?"

"Do you ever wonder what would have happened if you and I... well, if you and I were still a thing?"

"No."

"Oh, gee, thanks for sparing my feelings," he scowls, though I can tell he's not really mad at me by the playful twinkle in his eye. "You really know how to make a guy feel good."

I know how to make Daddy feel good. "Would you rather I lie, instead?" I ask, and Chase shrugs.

"If it makes me feel less like crap, then go for it."