Nothing Else Matters

** Arizona's P.O.V**

"Karev what the hell is happening?" I burst through the door into the OR

"The baby can't handle the stress Arizona, you need to get him out of there!" Alex began to worry

"Gown and gloves please" I asked hurriedly as I approached where Jamie lay

The scrub nurse approached me as she placed the surgical gown over me and gloved my hands. I walked up to where Dr Hunt stood and took a minute to decide on the best course to take with this situation. This was my child but I needed to treat him as I would any other patient. Alex had already set up an incubator in the room just in case something like this happened.

"Alex make sure you're ready to take this baby. The minute he comes out you're going to have to hook him up to every machine available. His brain and lungs are only half way through developing and he is no way ready for this but we have no choice." I ordered

I began the incision along the bottom of Jamie's stomach. I soon pierced the amniotic sack and drained the excess fluid from around the incision. Because the baby was only 26 weeks old he was still facing feet first. Carefully I began pulling the feet and soon the legs. With that, the torso came next and soon the head was visible.

Here's the thing. From the moment I met Jamie my life began to revolve around her. When she got hurt or upset, my only focus was to fix her, make her feel better, love her as much as I humanly could. So when she arrived at the doors of the emergency department, looking so weak, so frail and vulnerable, my heart sank. Nothing else mattered around me but her. That's why I didn't listen to Kepner, that's why I told Amelia to save her. We can always try for another baby, I would even carry it for her. But I would never find another human being like Jamie Quinn. I could never love someone else the way I love Jamie, or so I thought. But now I'm standing here, with our little boy in my arms and suddenly it's as if the whole world has shifted it's axis and all that matters is the tiny human that's staring up at me, fighting for his life. It's as if all my love for Jamie has moved slightly over in my heart, if that's even possible, and right now at this very moment and probably for the rest of my life this little man is going to be the most important person in my world.

I had a somewhat similar feeling when Sofia was born, buts it's been so long ago, and things were hard between Callie and I at the time. And the fact that Sofia's father was actually in the picture. There was something different about this feeling, something quite indescribable.

Our little boy couldn't cry yet, but I was soon snapped out of my little fantasy when I heard the scramble of doctors setting up the incubator. Before I could even get another glance at my little man, Alex scooped him up from my arms and brought him straight into the incubator where he would spend the next 3 months of his life. That's if, of course, he made it through the next week or two. Every minute was critical and things could change from bad to good or good to worse in the blink of an eye. But there was something about him, he survived that crash, he survived that anthrax attack. He came into this world fighting and I'll be damned if he doesn't keep fighting until he gets out of this hospital.

I rushed back to Jamie and began closing her up, after removing the umbilical cord and cleaning up the incision, I soon had her patched up. Amelia was just closing up also. It was a success, but just like the baby, Jamie had to keep fighting as these next 24 hours were just as critical for her as they were for the baby. We soon had Jamie back in the ICU and our little man, who is yet to be named, was in an incubator in the NICU.

I spent the next three days running between both rooms. Jamie was kept in an induced coma to give her brain some time to rest and to let her body heal. I was exhausted, I slept whenever and wherever I could, which usually only meant 2 or 3 hours on a chair beside Jamie or a sofa beside our baby. But it didn't matter, nothing else mattered only the two loves of my life. On the night of the fourth day I sat by Jamie's side. I had spent the last three nights with my little man, I knew Jamie would have wanted me with him. I couldn't stop looking at him, his little arms and legs and tiny little head. It broke my heart every time I had to look at him with all those tubes poking and prodding him. But now I wanted a night with my wife, she looked so peaceful and at ease. I held her hand and didn't dare to let go. I spoke to her softly and updated her every hour on her little boy and how he was. I could feel sleep begin to take over me so I lay my head beside her hip and kept a tight grip on her hand. At first I thought it was my over exhausted imagination but I soon felt her hand squeezing back. My head shot up from the bed and I looked to see a smiling Jamie staring back at me.

"Hey there" I whispered as I stroked the side of her face

She leaned into my touch as she took a deep breath and winced.

"Oh, Jamie are you ok? Do you want me to get someone?" I began to fluster

She shook her head violently and grabbed my hand once more.

"I love you" she barely croaked

"Oh Jay" I gushed as I took her into my arms, making sure not to brush off any of the sensitive incisions around her body

I stood back for a minute and paged Amelia before telling her anything about the baby or the accident. It's clear she had not thought about them yet, so I wanted to leave her be. Amelia came as quick as she could, much to Jamie's dismay. I could see the annoyance on her face at being so close to Amelia, I couldn't help but give a small giggle. God I love her. Jamie caught me laughing to myself and a cheeky grin broke out across her face. It didn't last long however, when Amelia pressed the wrong place and hit a sensitive area on Jamie's head.

"Watch it Shepherd" she barked, finding her voice once more

"Hey, lose the tone Quinn, I saved your life" Amelia replied sarcastically

Jamie knew she was right and let out a defeated sigh

"Sorry" she mumbled "And thank you, for everything"

"You know I'd do it over again in a heartbeat for you Jamie" Amelia said softly

I felt a pang of jealously but decided not to act on it. She deserved that one comment I suppose. Jamie gave her hand a gentle squeeze and Amelia reciprocated before leaving the room. Before she left she gave Jamie the all clear. Her brain had healed and the swelling had gone down drastically.

Before I could say another word something sparked in Jamie's eyes and her hands instinctively flew to her stomach protectively before she looked up at me with fear in her eyes.

"Where's my little boy?" she whispered as tears filled her eyes

"Your injuries were so extensive, we needed to operate as quickly as possible-" I began but she soon cut in

"No, no Arizona you needed to save him, not me" she began shaking her head, fighting back the tears

"Hey, hey" I cooed softly as I walked closer to her and placed my hand against her cheek, wiping her tears "Let me finish. We operated on you but he wasn't able to endure the strain, so I had to perform an emergency C-section. He is now in an incubator in the NICU and he's putting up a hell of a fight, just like his mom" I smiled lovingly at her

"Oh my god" she breathed in relief as she covered her mouth with her hand and let the tears fall down her face

She raised her hand to my face and pulled me close to her so that her lips could reach mine. I leaned in closer as I felt the passionate heat rise between us. I knew this was hurting her but neither of us could break the kiss until we had no choice.

"How about you rest for the night and tomorrow we'll go see him" I said gently

"Arizona" she pouted

"Fine" I gave in, knowing exactly what she wanted

Alex helped me move the incubator and all the wires and machines through the halls and down to Jamie's room, where she sat up waiting to meet her little boy. I pushed him right up beside her and gave her a moment to hold his little hand through the hole in the incubator.

"Hi little man" she sobbed as she held his hand gently "Hey, I'm your other mommy, I've waited a long time to meet you Kayden"

"Kayden?" I asked curiously

"It means fighter" Jamie smiled up at me "You like it?"

"I love it" I barely choked a whisper, and soon found myself sobbing

Our little man finally had a name.

"Welcome to our little family Kayden" I whispered