Chapter 2: Rare Disease

ARIANA

"We're here."

I opened my eyes to see a sign that read Little Falls, Oregon, population 1109. I sighed, 1111 now.

I can't believe we moved across the country and to this little town. Why here?

"Mom why are we moving here?" I asked looking out the window. We passed some parts of the town and I couldn't help but feel that it was familiar even though I had never been here before.

"Well, I did some research and this place has had some wolf sightings but they are so normal that no one does anything about it. You are going to be safe here. Besides, the high school was hiring and I applied." She said with a grin at the end.

"High school? Does that mean I'm going to high school?" I was kind of surprised but happy at the same time. It has been so long since I interacted with other people but I knew it was for the best. Then I realized something. "Wait, when did you apply?"

My mother gave me a sheepish smile. "Um, about a month ago? And yes, you do have to go to High School, but we have to make some rules okay? I'm the new vice principal which means it will be easier for you if you need to leave immediately or need a day off."

"You applied a month ago and didn't tell me? And won't you get into trouble if you treat me differently than the other students even if I am your daughter?" I didn't want my mom fired because of me too.

"Sweetie, I just want to protect you." She squeezed my hand and I sighed.

"And no, I won't be in trouble because I told them you had a rare disease that required you to check in with me every other hour and had a special schedule that allows you permission to miss school." She said with a proud smile.

Disease? I wouldn't call it a disease but if it made my life easier then whatever.

She drove deeper into the forest until she stopped in front of a large house. I think we were the only ones here for miles. It was beautiful and perfect. With excitement, I ran into the house, the wood floor squeaking with my weight. I climbed the stairs and ran into the rooms.

The first room was large with a nice big window and large bathroom. It was the master suite A.K.A my moms bedroom.

I then looked at the other room. I opened the door to reveal a window seat overlooking the green forest, I could see my mother unloading some boxes out of the car.

I looked around the room to find two doors and I squealed in happiness, one of those should be a bathroom. The first door was a walk in closet large enough to fit my wardrobe 5 times. The second door was a bathroom and it was just your standard bathroom but it was still awesome.

I went back downstairs and out the backyard. I gasped at all the room. It was huge and I could feel my wolf inside jumping with joy at all the free area to run. Although I hated the beast, I was still kind of excited.

I went back out the front door. "Mom! Did you see the backyard!"

She smiled. "Yes I did. Isn't it perfect for you?" She seemed genuinely happy for me.

"Yes! Ugh! My skin is crawling with excitement! Wait!" I said remembering I would be going to school.

"Mom? When do we start school?" I was also kind of excited but scared at the same time. I haven't been around people my age in like, forever!

My mother sighed and wiped her face. "Tomorrow, sweetie."

I took a deep breath. Calm down, it's only high school!

"It can't be that bad, right?" I nervously laughed at my mom and then helped unload some more stuff from the car.

***

A couple of hours later and was I heaving the last box into my new room and sat on the bed. I looked out the window to see it was pitch black. I moved closer to the window, sitting in the seat and looked outside. I felt sort of peaceful. I closed my eyes and listened to the nature outside. Two minutes in and I heard something odd. It was of an animal breathing. It was calm breathing.

I opened my eyes to see a wolf, bigger than me actually, staring right at me. The porch light bounced off its shiny black coat. It had dark eyes and they were staring right at me. I finally gasped when I realized how human the eyes looked. Are there other people out there like me? Am I not the only one? Of course not, it's probably just a regular ol' wolf.

The wolf cocked its head to the side and then disappeared into the woods.

I decided not to tell my mom what I just witnessed. I didn't want her to freak out like how I was.

I ate my dinner and kissed my mother goodnight.

After brushing my teeth, I went into my closet to change into my pajamas. I wonder what I should wear tomorrow. Well according to the weather, it was going to rain.

I rummaged through my clothing to find the best outfit. It was a plain white v-neck shirt paired with black jeans, black leather jacket and my combat boots. The outfit seemed a bit too badass for me but I felt it was perfect for the first day of school. Maybe the other kids will back off if I look dangerous enough.

One of my rules for going to high school was, no friends. My mother didn't want me to hurt anyone and I get it but I didn't know how to tell people I didn't want them to be my friend? New kids always make some friends their first day and I was instructed not to make any. Man, tomorrow is going to be hard. 

I climbed into bed, thinking of the horrible day I was going to have tomorrow.

Maybe it won't be so terrible?