Chapter 12: A Slap to the Masseter

ARI

I ran deeper into the woods until I was stopped by a man. His whole body seemed to be a shadow so I couldn't see who was standing in front of me.

"Why did you let him take control?" I asked the shadow, surprising myself. I didn't even mean to say anything?

He was on the ground now, gasping in pain.

I took a step forward but stopped myself.

He gasped in pain ripping the dirt out of the earth. "Because, I can never go back. I can never feel like that again. I can't live in pain." He looked up at me but I still couldn't see his face.

"Please you have to go! Go now! I can't control him!"

Control who! I screamed back but the words never left my mouth.

Then to my horror, his bones started to break into pieces. I instantly knew what was happening to him.

"I don't want to hurt you again but I can't promise what he will do to you. I'm sorry...Jennifer. My Jen. I'm sorry I couldn't be the mate you wanted me to be."

Jennifer? Why is talking about Jen?

I couldn't stop myself this time and I touched his cheek but was pushed away.

"I SAID GET OUT OF HERE."

I jumped back in fright and gasped.

Alex stood in front of me with eyes as black as night.

He opened his mouth and bared his teeth. I backed away not sure what was going on.

Then he jumped.

"ARIANA!"

"No!" I screamed  to my mother who was struggling to wake me up.

"Ariana please! Wake up!"

I jolted awake. My brain couldn't comprehend what was happening until I felt a sharp pain on my cheek.

I grabbed it and stared at my mother who was sighing in relief. 

"Did-did you just slap me? Why?" I asked shocked because it wasn't clear to me yet.

My mother gave me a pointed look. "I have been trying to wake you up for almost 10 minutes now. Do not scare me like that or I will do it again."

She slammed my door shut, stomping back to her room.

"What?" I asked myself in the room, not understanding why she was mad.

I got up and used the bathroom. I was running my hands in cold water when my dream started to come back to me in pieces.

Of course, I was dreaming about Alex. I rolled my eyes at myself. But why was I dreaming about Jennifer? And why was I Jennifer? I didn't understand it at all.

Alex was turning into a monster like how I always do. It felt so goddamn real but I knew it was a dream. A freaky ass one.