Chapter 36: All That Matters

ARI

My heart was in overdrive as I dodged every tree that was in my way.

I could hear Alex behind me, following me but staying at a distance.

Pushing myself even faster, reaching the pack house in 5 minutes.

I ran up to my room, past the mess and straight into my closet before changing back and putting on a shirt and pair of pants.

Rushing into the infirmary, I found Alex was already there. He had his hand on Zanders shoulder, comforting him.

When I watched Zanders shoulders tremble with his sobs, I thought the worst thing imaginable.

But then, I heard the thump of my mother's heart and I sank into a chair next to him, crying in relief.

Zander looked at me before taking my hands. "Don't worry, she's strong, the strongest women I know. She'll make it." He told me, although I think it was mostly to himself.

I gave him a smile but ended up being a grimace

"What did the doctor or Sharry say?"

"It's actually her son and he said that the gunshot punctured her kidney. He's operating on her now. He says her chances of surviving are really good." He said with a gleam of hope in his eyes.

The door to the infirmary opened with a crash as the whole pack basically walked in. Zander took one look at Matt and his lip trembled.

Matt hugged Zander, rubbing his back. I could see the unshed tears in his eyes. He was sad for his best friend.

My own best friend walked in and I hugged her. "Jen, I'm so sorry I left you. Are you okay?" I felt guilty because I didn't even stop to ask her how she was.

Jen only pulled me away before smiling. "I'm okay." Nate grabbed her hand and squeezed it. She smiled up at him seeming to reassure him again. The shirt she was wearing still had the blood stain and I could see Nate being pained every time he glanced down at her.

I sat down next to Alex as everyone conversed with each other, talking about how they didn't have to fear anything anymore or how future generations were safe.

Alex sat silently, his lips pursed. He was thinking about something. "What are you thinking?" I asked yawning. I felt exhausted.

I sank into my chair, placing my head against the wall.

Alex shrugged and I groaned. "Why can't you ever speak your mind?" I was genuinely curious. Like I opened up to him and everything and it was like he still didn't trust me.

Alex shrugged again and I stood up, not wanting to be next to him but then I stopped when he grabbed my hand. "Wait, I'm sorry. I'm still getting used to being open I guess."

I sat down, sighing. "I understand, but you know you can always, always tell me anything."

He smiled back but then frowned. "I don't know why but I feel as if I'm still never going to be happy." He looked down, feeling sad for some reason.

Grabbing his hand I squeezed it. "What do you mean?" I asked my heart breaking, seeing him like this.

"Do you know why Shawn let his wolf take over?" He asked me, tears in his eyes.

"No." I whispered afraid of what it was that was making Alex so emotional. 

I could feel Nathan's eyes burning a hole through me. I turned towards him to see that everyone was waiting for Alex's explanation. Did they not know?